Topics Map > Student Academic Policies > Courses/Enrolling
Topics Map > Student Academic Policies > Degrees

Declaring a Second Major Outside of L&S

This section explains what an L&S undergraduate student will need to do in order to pursue an additional major outside of L&S.

What do I need to do in order to declare another major outside of L&S if I am an L&S undergraduate student?

If an L&S student wishes to declare a second major in another school/college on the UW-Madison campus (e.g., CALS, Human Ecology, etc.), the student will need to transfer into the other school or college and obtain permission to earn a second major in the College of Letters & Science.  Letters & Science is not the home school/college for students with a second major outside of L&S.  Instead, L&S becomes the student's secondary college. 

Effective fall 2018, L&S undergraduate students may declare one additional major in the School of Education.  The three options available for L&S undergraduates in Education are:
These are currently the only non-L&S majors that L&S students may declare.   These additional majors are available to almost all L&S undergraduates (i.e., BA, BS AMEP, BA/BS-Journalism, BA/BS-Social Work, and Bachelor of Music) who meet admission requirements for the additional majors.  Please note that an L&S undergraduate student must first declare a major in L&S before being eligible to declare one of the approved non-L&S majors.  A student earning an L&S undergraduate degree cannot graduate within L&S with only an approved non-L&S major.

More information about declaring Education Studies, Health Promotion and Health Equity, and Theatre and Drama in the School of Education can be found here.  

**Students with second majors in L&S only need to fulfill L&S major requirements. 
  • An L&S undergraduate student cannot pursue two degree programs at the same time.  
  • An L&S undergraduate student who is interested in pursuing a second degree program/major outside of L&S must first complete his/her degree in L&S and then apply to the other school/college on the UW-Madison campus for a second undergraduate degree.
Resources for Questions: 
L&S Student Academic Affairs: (608) 262-0617,
L&S Academic Advising Services: (608) 262-5858,

See Also:

Keywords:major declaration,second major outside Letters & Science, double major in two colleges, CALS, education studies, theatre and drama, health promotion and health equity, HPHE   Doc ID:21166
Owner:Tori R.Group:L&S Administrative Gateway
Created:2011-11-04 11:08 CDTUpdated:2020-02-14 10:36 CDT
Sites:L&S Administrative Gateway
Feedback:  0   0