What are the procedures for declaring or canceling an L&S major, Certificate or Option?
The following section gives information to L&S undergraduate advisors on how to get authorization to use the online major/certificate declaration e-form in helping students declare or cancel an L&S major, certificate or major option.
PROCEDURES FOR DECLARING OR CANCELLING AN L&S MAJOR, CERTIFICATE OR OPTION
Any L&S undergraduate student interested in declaring or cancelling an L&S major, certificate or other option in the College of Letters & Science will need to meet with an academic advisor in the appropriate major department or unit.
If an L&S undergraduate student wishes to pursue more than one major, s/he must:
- speak with the academic advisor in each major/academic unit in order to declare the additional major(s)
If a non L&S undergraduate student (i.e., an undergraduate student pursuing a degree in another school/college on the UW-Madison campus) wishes to pursue an additional major in the College of Letters & Science, the following rules apply:
- School of Business Undergraduates: Must meet with the L&S major advisor to declare the major. More information can be found at "Can I double major outside of the Wisconsin School of Business" under BBA Majors.
- College of Agricultural and Life Sciences Undergraduates: Must first attend a CALS workshop to be given the appropriate forms to fill out. Additional major/degree information for CALS students is located at additional major/degree policy and process.
- School of Education Undergraduates: Must meet with the L&S major advisor to learn about the requirements for the additional major so they can create a study plan. Students must obtain a major declaration form from the L&S major advisor and take it to room 139 Education Building (1000 Bascom Mall) for dean's approval. More information about adiitonal majors or double majors can be found under degrees, double majors, and graduation.
- College of Engineering Undergraduates: Must get the approval of the L&S major advisor and the academic dean of the College of Engineering. For more information, see additional major.
- School of Human Ecology Undergraduates: Must meet with the L&S major advisor and take the major declaration form to Human Ecology's Student Academic Affairs & Career Development Office. Additional information can be found at declaring additional majors.
- School of Nursing Undergraduates: Students admitted
into the Nursing program are permitted to declare a second major in
L&S. Must complete the School of Nursing's Petition for Special Consideration and get the approval of the L&S major department. For more information, see Second Major under Degrees within the Policies and Regulations tab.
**Students should contact the L&S major department(s) for the major declaration form (LSMAJORDECFORM.pdf) and information on declaring a major in the College of Letters & Science.
L&S departmental advisors working with undergraduate students who wish to declare a major in their particular department/unit will need to get access to the online major declaration e-form. Department advisors who wish to get access to the e-form will need to complete a Student Information System (SIS) authorization form available at:
Authorization Systems and Getting Access
Advisors will need to:
1. Fill out the top portion of the Student Information System (SIS) Authorization Form with their contact and other information.
2. Fill out the Additional Roles portion of the e-form (at the bottom of the page) with the following: UPG_SR_MAJ_DECL.
3. Send the authorization form with the appropriate signatures to Ms. Alisha Arnold as an email attached to email@example.com or via Inter-D mail to 207 South Hall. Once reviewed and approved, the form will be sent by the appropriate authorization body in L&S Administration to: Security Authorizations, 1210 W Dayton St, FAX 265-0667.
4. If you have not heard back regarding your authorization within two week’s time, please contact DoIT. The DoIT authorization department can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Individuals will also need to fill out the plansecurityrequestform.pdf in order to indicate which plans they need to access in ISIS. Please scan and email the signed form to email@example.com or send through campus mail to Kim Alling at 11201 East Campus Mall.
Once the departmental advisor has been authorized to use the e-form, s/he will be able to access the major/certificate declaration/cancellation e-form in SIS by going to:
Main Menu > Records and Enrollment > Dean/Dept Processing > Major/Certificate Requests
You can obtain more detailed information about the major declaration process by going to MajorCertificateRequestDocumentation.pdf. For more assistance in processing a major declaration or cancellation request, please contact the Registrar's Office.
**L&S departments/units cannot use the online major/certificate declaration form if they are attempting to assist a non L&S undergraduate student declare a second major. An undergraduate student earning his/her degree outside the College of Letters & Science must fill out a the paper version of the Major Declaration Form and take the signed form to his/her academic dean's unit for approval.