Topics Map > Student Academic Policies > Courses/Enrolling
UW-Madison Final Exam General Information and Grading Deadline
This section provides information about UW-Madison's fall and spring term/semester final examination policies. The following rules apply to all courses numbered 699 and below (except for undergraduate seminar courses, independent study, and directed study courses.
The Summary Period for Academic Semester is governed by Faculty Legislation. The section below highlights key aspects of that policy. More specific information about the UW-Madison examination policy can be found at Mid-term and Final Exam Policy Information. Additional information about final exam periods and final exam room assignments can be found on the Registrar's website.
For detailed information about spring 2020 final exams, please see L&S guidance for final exams during spring 2020 COVID-19 disruption.
The academic semester/term consists of an advising and a registration period, a regularly scheduled instructional period, and an eight-day summary period. Please note that the first day of the summary period is for individual study and review. No classes or examinations are to be scheduled during this time period. The last seven days of the summary period are prescheduled to include one (1) two-hour summary instructional period for each course of two or more credits. This period should only be used for an examination or other instructional activities as deemed appropriate by the instructor and department/unit offering the course. Final examinations or other summary period activities cannot be scheduled during the last two weeks of classes. (Periodic reminders from the Vice Provost for Teaching & Learning reinforce this aspect of policy.).
- All faculty must adhere to the final examination schedule. A full text of the relevant legislation is located at summary period for academic semester. Also, detailed information about finals can be found at midterm and final exam information and Policies and Guidelines.
- Take-home final examinations are due at the scheduled two-hour block.
- Instructors may not schedule exams for any time during
the summary period other than the 2-hour summary block assigned to their
particular course(s) without prior approval. The time of the summary period may be changed only with prior approval of the Dean of the college (or an individual designated by the Dean).
- UW-Madison Faculty Policy states that each instructor must submit course grades within six (6) calendar days (144 hours) from the date and time of each final exam, or the last class date if no final exam is scheduled.
- Graduate courses (course number 700 or higher) and undergraduate seminar courses, independent study, and directed study courses are exempt from these regulations. Students enrolled in these courses should contact their instructors regarding final evaluation requirements.
- For more questions about final exams and grading deadlines, please contact:
- Office of the Registrar (firstname.lastname@example.org) with fall, spring, or summer process questions
- Office of the Secretary of the Faculty (email@example.com) with general policy and procedures questions and concerns
- Managing online classroom environment for information regarding online instruction and maintaining a safe learning environment
- Assessment and remote instruction for recommendations for instructors around assessment and how to preserve examination integrity