Topics Map > Student Academic Policies > Credits
UW-Madison Credit/No Credit Grading
The following section discusses the credit/no credit provision for L&S undergraduate students.
A very limited number of courses offered on the UW-Madison campus are graded on a credit/no credit basis rather than on a letter grade basis. Students will receive a grade of credit (CR) or no credit (N) which will not affect a student's grade point average.
- A student who completes a course that has been designated in Course Search & Enroll as being offered on a credit/no credit basis will have either a CR or N entered on his/her transcript for the course.
- "CR" means that the student earned the credits for which the course was offered.
- "N" means that the student did not earn any credit even though the student registered for the course.
- Credits designated with CR or N are excluded from GPA computations.
- Students cannot audit a course offered on a credit/no credit basis.
- Students cannot take a credit/no credit course on a pass/fail basis.
Also refer to Credit/No Credit Courses.
Contact the Office of the Registrar at (608) 262-3811 or L&S Student Academic Affairs at (608) 262-0617 with specific questions.