Topics Map > College of Letters and Science > Academic Affairs > Policies > Undergraduate Student Academic Policies
When do I need to declare a major in the College of Letters & Science?
All L&S undergraduate students must declare at least one (1) major by the time they have earned 86 credits in order to graduate. Detailed information about declaring a major is located at:
The following section provides information on declaring a major in the College of Letters & Science for L&S undergraduate students.
How to Declare and Cancel a Major
Major Declaration Policy
Information about L&S majors and special degree programs can be found at:
Majors, Certificates, and Concentration Programs
Declaring a major is an essential part of a student's academic career at UW-Madison and is very important for graduating in a timely manner. Students are encouraged to declare a major as soon as possible once they have decided on their particular academic area of interest and have met the requirements for declaration. Student must go to the individual department(s) in order to declare a major or special degree program (e.g., AMEP, JBA, JBS, BMUS, BSW, etc.).
- An enrollment hold will be placed on students' records if they have at least 86 credits (this includes credits already earned plus credits students are currently taking) and have not declared a major by the 5th week of the fall or spring term. This means that students will not be able to enroll in future terms until they declare a major.
- Students who have a Mandatory Major Declaration enrollment hold will still be able to drop classes or withdraw from the current term as long as they drop classes or withdraw by the official deadlines. See Enrollment Deadlines Pages for more information regarding deadlines.
- Students who have a Mandatory Major Declaration (MMD) enrollment hold on their records can get the hold lifted by declaring a major with the advisor for the major.
- Students who cannot declare a major because they do not qualify yet or have another issue preventing them from declaring a major should speak with their advisor as soon as possible about their options.
- Advisors who have questions about their students' Mandatory Major Declaration enrollment hold should contact L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans' Services.
- Students can find the name and contact information for advisors at Find My Assigned Advisor