Topics Map > Administrators
Topics Map > Features and Functionality > Client Capabilities > Desktop
Office 365 - Microsoft Office 2013 path to retirement
This document explains when Microsoft plans to retire different versions of Office 2013.
When will Microsoft end support for different versions of Office 2013?
The following Microsoft Office products are being retired on the following dates:
|Microsoft Office 2013 version||End date for Microsoft
|End date for Microsoft
including release of updates for
reliability and security.
|Office 2013 version of Office 365 ProPlus||February 28, 2017*||April 10, 2018
|Office 2013 Professional Plus, Professional, and Standard editions||April 10, 2018||April 11, 2023|
* Beginning March 1, 2017, the Office 2013 version of Office 365 ProPlus will no longer be available for installation from the Office 365 portal. Microsoft will continue to release critical and important security updates for this version of the product until April 10, 2018. Learn more.
To continue to receive support from Microsoft and DoIT Help Desk, make sure to upgrade to the latest version of Microsoft Office.
Which version am I running?
To find out the version you are running, please review the Office 365 - What version of Microsoft Office am I using? document. Note: Users upgrading from Office 2013 to Office 2016 should have no problems due to system requirements.
Should I upgrade to Office 2016?
Yes. The newest version provides a better user experience (including enhanced features), receives the latest security updates and enhancements, and DoIT will provide complete support.
Why am I receiving an upgrade notification when running an Office 2013 application?
Because you are using a version of Office which is eligible to be upgraded.
How do I upgrade to the latest version?
Every faculty/staff/student has access to Office 2016.
- Faculty, staff, and students can download from the Office 365 portal for installation on personally- or UW-owned machines (always check with IT staff before installing on UW-owned machines). IT support staff can download installers for UW-owned machines from the Campus Software Library.
Please review the Office 365 - Downloading/Install Microsoft Office ProPlus document.
How does the upgrade work if I also have Microsoft Visio and/or Project installed?
At this time, the only option is to install Office, Project, and/or Visio from the Campus Software Library (CSL).
Important: You will need administrator rights to your computer to install any software. If you do not have these rights, contact your local administrator. Also, make sure to update the software after completing the installation - this will ensure that your software is up-to-date for it most important security patches.
Follow these steps to reinstall MS Office, Project, and/or Visio:
- Backup your data.
- Uninstall MS Project and/or Visio.
- Uninstall MS Office.
- Install MS Office 2016 downloaded from the CSL.
- Install MS Project and/or Visio downloaded from the CSL. (Please note that Project and Visio will only appear in the CSL if you've purchased a license.)
- If you receive an error during installation of Microsoft Project/Visio:
This is an incompatibility error which appears when you are using the Office 365 version of Microsoft Office (downloaded via Outlook on the web) and the Campus Software Library version of Microsoft Project/Visio. To rectify this error, please repeat the installation steps above making sure to download all applications from the Campus Software Library.