UW-Madison Google Apps - UW-Madison Google Apps Accounts vs. Personal Google Accounts
This article attempts to explain the differences between different Google Accounts a user may possess.
What is a Google Account?
- A Google account is simply an account that allows you to sign in and access Google services. The services available to a particular Google Account will vary depending on the type of account.
- If you sign in to any Google product or service, you already have a Google Account.
What is a Google Apps Account?
- A Google Apps Account provides access to products powered by Google but administered by a separate organization.
What is a UW-Madison Google Apps Account?
- A UW-Madison Google Apps Account is a Google Apps for Higher Education account.
- A list of Google Consumer Applications that are available to a UW-Madison Google Apps Account can be found at UW-Madison Google Apps - List of Available Consumer Applications. Currently, only Google Drive, Sites, Hangouts, Calendar, Contacts, Plus, and Groups fall under the Terms of Service negotiated with Google.
- A UW-Madison Google Apps Account provides additional protection in regards to your intellectual property.
- When using UW-Madison Google Apps, you must follow UW-Madison's Usage Guidelines
Having trouble identifying accounts?
Look for visual clues.
You’ll see the UW–Madison logo on the upper left-hand side and your NetID in the upper right-hand side of your UW–Madison Google Apps account. Google accounts frequently have multiple alternate addresses (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org). Unlike UW-Madison Office 365, the UW-Madison Google Apps primary/displayed address is always NetID@wisc.edu.
Assign different photos to your accounts.
You could use a fun photo for your personal account and a more professional-looking photo for your UW–Madison Google Apps account. If you are using UW-Madison Google Plus, try setting your cover photo and nickname to indicate to others that this is your UW-Madison account.
Use separate browsers or Chrome profiles.
If you find it cumbersome switching accounts (in the upper right-hand of the screen), try these alternatives:
- You could use Firefox for your UW–Madison Google Apps account and another browser (e.g. Chrome) for your personal Google account.
- Another option is to use a separate Chrome profile for each of your accounts. See UW-Madison Google Apps - Using Chrome Profiles to Access Multiple Accounts Simultaneously for more information.