NetID - Eligibility Policy
This document details the eligibility policy for the UW-Madison NetID.
NetID Eligibility vs Service Eligibility
It is important to be aware of the difference between NetID Eligibility and Service Eligibility:
NetID Eligibility refers to whether or not a person is eligible to have an active NetID. NetID Eligibility does not imply eligibility for any other UW Madison services.
Service Eligibility refers to whether or not a person is eligible to access a particular Enterprise UW Madison service, such as Office365, Learn@UW, Google Apps, or the UW Wireless Network. Service Eligibility is determined by campus policy for each Enterprise UW Madison Service.
This document only discusses NetID Eligibility. A new document about Enterprise Service Eligibility will be forthcoming and a link will be added here when available. Please keep in mind that these are working documents, and that they will be updated as products, services, and campus policy changes.
Who is Eligible for a NetID?
- Students who are enrolled/eligible to enroll in the current semester are eligible for a NetID.
- Former students that were enrolled in Summer 2010 or later will remain eligible for a NetID.
- All applicants are eligible for a NetID.
Note: Students studying/working abroad are considered former students when no longer enrolled at UW Madison.
Current Faculty and Staff
- Faculty and staff at UW-Madison are eligible for a NetID. In addition to faculty and staff with a current UW appointment, this also applies to Project and Limited Term Employees (LTEs) who have not yet reached their end date, as well as employees with a future start date.
- Most faculty and staff with a UW System appointment outside of UW-Madison, but physically located within Dane County, are eligible for a NetID.
Note: Eligibility for Dane County employees is determined by the office address in the HR System.
- UW Hospital, Clinics and UW Medical Foundation employees are eligible for a NetID.
- Student employees on the Madison campus from other institutions (non-Madison UW, MATC, Edgewood) are eligible for a NetID.
Note: Student employees enrolled at UW-Madison are eligible due to their student status.
Former UW Faculty and Staff
- UW Faculty and Staff who leave the university without retiring will remain eligible for a NetID for two years.
- Emeritus faculty and staff need to be entered into the HR System by the Academic Personnel Office to remain eligible for a NetID.
- Non-emeritus retirees must contact their human resource department to remain eligible for a NetID.
Departments at UW-Madison may request to extend some or all Enterprise UW-Madison IT services, including a NetID, to affiliated persons or groups. Eligibility may be revoked at any time at the department's discretion. Examples of affiliated persons or groups include guest lecturers or speakers, consultants, and students in special programs. To learn more, see Manifest - Requesting Service-Enabled Groups