NetID - Activating Your Account
NetIDs are used to access many campus applications and services like the My UW-Madison, Web Enrollment, and Office 365. All students, faculty, and staff should activate their NetID as soon as possible upon entering the university.
Step by Step Activation
- Navigate to the NetID Account Activation page, https://www.mynetid.wisc.edu/activate.
- In the ID number or Activation Key field, enter your 11-digit photo ID number (including the "issue code" as the 11th digit), your 10-digit Campus ID if you do not have a photo ID card, or your 12-digit activation key if you are a new employee. Under Date of Birth, use the drop down menus to select your birth date. Click the Activate button.
- Please read the Appropriate Use Guidelines on page two of the activation process. Scroll down to the bottom of this window and highlight the I Accept radio button. Click Next.
- The Appropriate Use Guidelines continue on page three of the activation process. Please read these guidelines and click the I Understand button at the bottom of the screen to continue.
- Page four of the activation process requires that you set Account Recovery Questions and a Recovery Email for your account. If you cannot remember your NetID or password, your security questions and recovery email can be used to reset your password and/or remind you of your NetID.
- Select the question you would like to answer using the drop-down arrows to the right of the question. Type your answer in the box below the question. When you have answered all three questions, click the Save my answers button.
- You must now set a password and a recovery email for your NetID account. Please note the password requirements on this screen. Enter your password twice at the bottom of this screen.
- Enter a recovery email address that does not end in wisc.edu in the Recovery Email field. Note that you will need to confirm this email address by clicking on the confirmation link you will receive once you've completed the activation process. Click the Activate Account button.
- If you have successfully activated your account you will see the screen below. To complete the process:
Please note your NetID and UW email address in the middle of this screen.
You must confirm your recovery email address by clicking the link in the confirmation email.
- If you have any problems activating your account please contact the DoIT Help Desk at 608-264-HELP (4357).
Note: All UW-Madison students and current faculty/staff must have a valid UW-Madison Campus ID number in order to activate their NetID account. New UW-Madison faculty and staff who need to activate their NetID prior to obtaining a Campus ID number must contact their HR department. You may have a Campus ID number even if you do not possess a physical UW-Madison photo ID card. For more information about obtaining your ID number, see Help Desk - I need my Campus/Photo ID number.