What is the grade change policy for L&S undergraduate students?

The following section concerns L&S policy regarding grade changes for L&S undergraduate students.

In accordance to current faculty policy and in an effort to maintain both equity and consistency, final semester grades can be changed only because of  "clerical error".  Students cannot petition to improve a course grade by offering to rewrite a paper, turn in additional work, or retake a final exam.  The only exception would be if:

  1. the option to improve a grade is available to all students in a given course, and
  2. this option is stated explicitly in the course syllabus.

Each department should also have a procedure for reviewing grade changes on a regular basis.

The following items are important for the efficient and accurate processing of grade changes:
  1. The department is responsible for the safe keeping of grade change forms.  The grade change forms should be given only to the instructor and not to a student requesting a change in grade. 
  2. Grade change forms must be completely filled out with all pertinent information.  Incomplete forms will not be processed but will be returned to the department for completion.
  3. The instructor of the course must sign the form.
  4. The Chair of the department must also countersign the form.
  5. One copy of the grade change form is for departmental use.  A record should be maintained in the department of all grade change forms sent for processing.
  6. Grade change forms for L&S undergraduate students should be sent to:  L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans' Services, 110 Ingraham Hall.
  7. Staff in L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans' Services will determine if the grade change will affect a student's academic status (e.g., placing a student in dropped status, or altering the probationary status of the student).  If the grade change affects the student's academic status, the form will be forwarded to a member of the Academic Dean's staff for review and appropriate action.
  8. Appeals of final grades must be initiated within the semester immediately following the term in which the course is taken.

See Also:

Keywords:grade change   Doc ID:21699
Owner:Tori R.Group:College of Letters & Science
Created:2011-12-12 17:58 CSTUpdated:2015-12-13 00:14 CST
Sites:College of Letters & Science
Feedback:  2   4