What are the procedures for declaring or canceling an L&S major, Certificate or Option?

The following section gives information to L&S undergraduate advisors on how to get authorization to use the online major/certificate declaration e-form in helping students declare or cancel an L&S major, certificate or major option.


For Students

Any L&S undergraduate student interested in declaring or cancelling an L&S major, certificate or other option in the College of Letters & Science will need to meet with an academic advisor in the appropriate major department or unit.

If an L&S undergraduate student wishes to pursue more than one major, s/he must:

  • speak with the academic advisor in each major/academic unit in order to declare the additional major(s)

If a non L&S undergraduate student (i.e., an undergraduate student pursuing a degree in another school/college on the UW-Madison campus) wishes to pursue an additional major in the College of Letters & Science,  the following rules apply:

  • School of Business Undergraduates: Must meet with the L&S major advisor to declare the major.  More information can be found at "Can I double major outside of the Wisconsin School of Business" under Frequently Asked Questions.
  • College of Agricultural and Life Sciences Undergraduates: Must first attend a CALS workshop to be given the appropriate forms to fill out.  Additional major/degree information for CALS students is located at academic forms & docs.
  • School of Education Undergraduates:  Must meet with the L&S major advisor to learn about the requirements for the additional major so they can create a study plan.  Students must obtain a major declaration form from the L&S major advisor and take it to room 139 Education Building (1000 Bascom Mall) for dean's approval.  More information can be found at additional major.
  • College of Engineering Undergraduates: Must get the approval of the L&S major advisor and the academic dean of the College of Engineering.  For more information, see additional major
  • School of Human Ecology Undergraduates:  Must meet with the L&S major advisor and take the major declaration form to Human Ecology's Student Academic Affairs & Career Development Office.  Additional information can be found at declaring additional majors/certificates/specializations while enrolled in a SoHE degree program.
  • School of Nursing Undergraduates: Must complete the School of Nursing's Petition for Special Consideration and get the approval of the L&S major department.  For more information, see Second Major.

**Students should contact the L&S major department(s) for the major declaration form (LSMAJORDECFORM.pdf) and information on declaring a major in the College of Letters & Science.

For Advisors

L&S departmental advisors working with undergraduate students who wish to declare a major in their particular department/unit will need to get access to the online major declaration e-form.   Department advisors who wish to get access to the e-form will need to complete a Student Information System (SIS) authorization form available at:

Authorization Systems and Getting Access


Advisors will need to:


1.      Fill out the top portion of the Student Information System (SIS) Authorization Form with their contact and other information.

2.      Fill out the Additional Roles portion of the e-form (at the bottom of the page) with the following:  UPG_SR_MAJ_DECL.

3.      Send the authorization form with the appropriate signatures to Ms. Alisha Arnold as an email attached to alisha.arnold@wisc.edu or via Inter-D mail to 207 South Hall.   Once reviewed and approved, the form will be sent by the appropriate authorization body in L&S Administration to: Security Authorizations, 1210 W Dayton St, FAX 265-0667.

4.      If you have not heard back regarding your authorization within two week’s time, please contact DoIT.  The DoIT authorization department can be reached at security.authorizations@doit.wisc.edu.


Individuals  will also need to fill out the plansecurityrequestform.pdf in order to indicate which plans they need to access in ISIS.  Please scan and email the signed form to kim.alling@wisc.edu or send through campus mail to Kim Alling at 11201 East Campus Mall.    

Once the departmental advisor has been authorized to use the e-form, s/he will be able to access the major/certificate declaration/cancellation e-form in SIS by going to:


Main Menu > Records and Enrollment > Dean/Dept Processing > Major/Certificate Requests

You can obtain more detailed information about the major declaration process by going to MajorCertificateRequestDocumentation.pdf.  For more assistance in processing a major declaration or cancellation request, please contact the Registrar's Office.

**L&S departments/units cannot use the online major/certificate declaration form if they are attempting to assist a non L&S undergraduate student declare a second major.   An undergraduate student earning his/her degree outside the College of Letters & Science must fill out a the paper version of the Major Declaration Form and take the signed form to his/her academic dean's unit for approval. 

See Also:

Keywords:declaring major, canceling major, declaring certificate, canceling certificate, option declaration, major form, certificate, second major, second L&S undergraduate major, additional major   Doc ID:24550
Owner:Tori R.Group:College of Letters & Science
Created:2012-06-01 15:04 CDTUpdated:2016-09-30 11:55 CDT
Sites:College of Letters & Science
Feedback:  0   0