What are the procedures for declaring or canceling an L&S major, Certificate or Option?
The following section gives information to L&S undergraduate advisors on how to get authorization to use the online major/certificate declaration e-form in helping students declare or cancel an L&S major, certificate or major option.
PROCEDURES FOR DECLARING OR CANCELLING AN L&S MAJOR, CERTIFICATE OR OPTION
Any L&S undergraduate student interested in declaring or cancelling an L&S major, certificate or other option in the College of Letters & Science will need to meet with an academic advisor in the appropriate major department or unit.
If an L&S undergraduate student wishes to pursue more than one major, s/he must:
- speak with the academic advisor in each major/academic unit in order to declare the additional major(s)
If a non L&S undergraduate student (i.e., an undergraduate student pursuing a degree in another school/college on the UW-Madison campus) wishes to pursue an additional major in the College of Letters & Science, the following rules apply:
- School of Business Undergraduates: Must meet with the L&S major advisor to declare the major. More information can be found at "Can I double major outside of the Wisconsin School of Business" under Frequently Asked Questions.
- College of Agricultural and Life Sciences Undergraduates: Must first attend a CALS workshop to be given the appropriate forms to fill out. Additional major/degree information for CALS students is located at academic forms & docs.
- School of Education Undergraduates: Must meet with the L&S major advisor to learn about the requirements for the additional major so they can create a study plan. Students must obtain a major declaration form from the L&S major advisor and take it to room 139 Education Building (1000 Bascom Mall) for dean's approval. More information can be found at additional major.
- College of Engineering Undergraduates: Must get the approval of the L&S major advisor and the academic dean of the College of Engineering. For more information, see additional major.
- School of Human Ecology Undergraduates: Must meet with the L&S major advisor and take the major declaration form to Human Ecology's Student Academic Affairs & Career Development Office. Additional information can be found at declaring additional majors/certificates/specializations while enrolled in a SoHE degree program.
- School of Nursing Undergraduates: Must complete the School of Nursing's Petition for Special Consideration and get the approval of the L&S major department. For more information, see Second Major.
**Students should contact the L&S major department(s) for the major declaration form (LSMAJORDECFORM.pdf) and information on declaring a major in the College of Letters & Science.
L&S departmental advisors working with undergraduate students who wish to declare a major in their particular department/unit will need to get access to the online major declaration e-form. Department advisors who wish to get access to the e-form will need to complete a Student Information System (SIS) authorization form available at:
Authorization Systems and Getting Access
Advisors will need to:
1. Fill out the top portion of the Student Information System (SIS) Authorization Form with their contact and other information.
2. Fill out the Additional Roles portion of the e-form (at the bottom of the page) with the following: UPG_SR_MAJ_DECL.
3. Send the authorization form with the appropriate signatures to Ms. Alisha Arnold as an email attached to firstname.lastname@example.org or via Inter-D mail to 207 South Hall. Once reviewed and approved, the form will be sent by the appropriate authorization body in L&S Administration to: Security Authorizations, 1210 W Dayton St, FAX 265-0667.
4. If you have not heard back regarding your authorization within two week’s time, please contact DoIT. The DoIT authorization department can be reached at email@example.com.
Individuals will also need to fill out the plansecurityrequestform.pdf in order to indicate which plans they need to access in ISIS. Please scan and email the signed form to firstname.lastname@example.org or send through campus mail to Kim Alling at 11201 East Campus Mall.
Once the departmental advisor has been authorized to use the e-form, s/he will be able to access the major/certificate declaration/cancellation e-form in SIS by going to:
Main Menu > Records and Enrollment > Dean/Dept Processing > Major/Certificate Requests
You can obtain more detailed information about the major declaration process by going to MajorCertificateRequestDocumentation.pdf. For more assistance in processing a major declaration or cancellation request, please contact the Registrar's Office.
**L&S departments/units cannot use the online major/certificate declaration form if they are attempting to assist a non L&S undergraduate student declare a second major. An undergraduate student earning his/her degree outside the College of Letters & Science must fill out a the paper version of the Major Declaration Form and take the signed form to his/her academic dean's unit for approval.