UW-Madison Box - Getting Started
- First Time Users
- Login Options
- Configuring Notifications
- Creating an External Password
- Keyboard Shortcuts
- System Requirements
First Time Users
If you have never accessed your UW-Madison Box account, you will need to log in through the web client in order to get started. You do not need to do anything else besides logging in—your account will be ready as soon as you authenticate. Additionally, your account will be created with unlimited storage space, so you can start adding content immediately!
For instructions on logging in through the web client, please see UW-Madison Box (Web) - Logging In.
In addition to the Box web client, you also have the option of accessing files stored in your Box account through Box Sync for your desktop and mobile devices.
For instructions on logging in through mobile devices, please see UW-Madison Box - Logging In.
- Note: Instructions for logging into Box Sync for Desktop are currently not available; however, we expect to have them added shortly.
Before you begin managing your files, it is helpful to acquaint yourself with the layout of your Box account page.
Note: UW-Madison Box is currently transitioning from the original interface to a new one. The layouts for both are described separately below; please expand the section pertaining to the layout you are using.
Box uses a vertical navigation bar represented by icons, as well as a dropdown menu, as their primary site navigation. The vertical navigation bar can be expanded to include text by clicking on the three-line menu icon in the upper left-hand corner. The pages accessed through the navigation bar are described below:
|The Files page is the core of your Box account. Here you can view all files and folders you have access to, making this the starting point for all your file management.|
|The Recents page displays the last files you have accessed (up to 1000 in total), starting with those accessed most recently. For more information, please see: https://community.box.com/t5/How-to-Guides-for-Managing/Recents/ta-p/33569|
|The Favorites page displays a list of the files and folders you have flagged as favorites. You can favorite an item in your Box account by right-clicking (control+click on a Mac) on the item, then selecting Favorite from the menu. You can also access the same menu by clicking on the More Options menu (displayed as three dots) for that item.|
|The Synced page displays the list of files and folders that are currently being synced to your desktop Box Sync client. For more information on using Box Sync, please see: https://community.box.com/t5/How-to-Guides-for-Sync/Using-Box-Sync/ta-p/20360|
|The Trash page displays any files and folders that you have deleted from your account. For UW-Madison users, deleted files will remain in the Trash for 90 days pending permanent deletion; before this time, you may restore the deleted files.|
|The Messages page displays information about events in Box that require your attention, such as invitations to collaborate. For more information on messages, please see: https://community.box.com/t5/How-to-Guides-for-Managing/Messages/ta-p/19520|
|The Collaborators page displays a list of all users with whom you are currently collaborating, i.e. the people and project groups that have access to the same folders you do. It is important to note that there are multiple "levels" of collaboration, and the users in this list may not have the same type of collaborator access.|
|The Box Notes page is a native Box application that allows for real-time, web-based document creation and collaboration. For more information on Box Notes, please see: https://community.box.com/t5/How-to-Guides-for-Managing/Box-Notes/ta-p/19211|
In the upper right-hand corner of the page, you will see a dropdown menu labeled with your avatar (Note: this will display your initials if you have not uploaded an image). Opening this menu will display a number of other important account actions:
- View Profile will take you to your personal profile page, where you can change your display name, add a profile picture, and update other details about yourself.
- Account Settings contains information and settings related to your account, such as amount of storage being used, associated email addresses, login activity, default settings for collaboration, notification settings, and more.
- Updates displays a list of actions performed on all documents you have access to, regardless of whether you uploaded them or they were shared with you by another user. Most actions one can take in Box, including uploading, downloading, previewing, and commenting, will generate an update for all collaborators.
- Apps connects you with various desktop and mobile applications that can be integrated with your Box account to expand your ability to access and manage your Box data.
- Help will take you to the Box Community website, where you will be prompted to register as a member in order to participate in Community forums.
- Terms will open a new page with the Box Terms of Service. For end user Terms of Service specific to UW-Madison, please see: BOX End User Terms of Service
- Log Out will log you out of Box. Please note that this will not log you out of your current NetID session, so as long your NetID session is active, anyone else accessing your browser can log back into your Box account.
Box gives you the option of receiving email notifications for specific events involving your account and files. For instructions on changing your notifications settings, please see the following Box support article: https://support.box.com/entries/23608048
Creating an External Password
UW-Madison Box account use Single Sign On for authentication, which allows you to access your Box account by logging in with your NetID and password. However, some external apps that are capable of interacting with your Box account do not have Single Sign On functionality.
For this reason, you may need to create an external password for your account in order to use certain apps. These apps will then use your external password in conjunction with your full WiscMail address (i.e. email@example.com) for authentication.
For instructions on creating an external password for your account, please see UW-Madison Box - Creating an External Password.
The Box web client supports the use of certain keyboard shortcuts to make file management as efficient as possible. For a full list of the hotkeys supported by Box, please see: https://support.box.com/hc/en-us/articles/202631133
To access the Box web client, you must use a supported browser. For all browser requirements, please see UW-Madison Box - Recommended Browsers and Operating Systems.
If you would like to use Box Sync for Desktop, you will also need to meet the system requirements documented here: https://support.box.com/hc/en-us/articles/200852677#syncsysreqs