Kaltura - Uploading Files to Kaltura Mediaspace (UW-Madison)
UW-Madison instructors, staff, and students can upload most common media formats to Kaltura MediaSpace for work involving teaching and learning at UW-Madison. This document describes how to upload media files to Kaltura Mediaspace.
- Log into Kaltura MediaSpace. If you need more information on how to log in to MediaSpace please see Kaltura - How to Log in to Kaltura MediaSpace (UW-Madison).
- Select the Add New Button, and then select Media Upload.
- Read the UW-Madison disclaimer and accept it using the checkbox, if you agree to terms and conditions.
- For more information on this message, see Kaltura - Legal and Policy Information.
- Select the +Choose a file to upload button on the Upload Media window.
- Navigate to and select the file you want to upload to Kaltura MediaSpace.
- While Kaltura can process a wide range of video formats, we recommend uploading MP4, 1280 x 720 videos under 2GB. Larger files will take longer to upload/process..
- See Kaltura MediaSpace - Recommended video source formats and specifications (UW-Madison) for more information.
- While the file is uploading, select publishing settings.
Private - Media page will be visible to the content owner only.. (select this if using copyrighted materials)
Unlisted - Media page will be visible to anyone with a link to the page. (this will let you use your video more easily outside KMS)
Published - Media page will be visible to users according to entitlements based on the selected destinations.
- Click Save.
Even when Kaltura MediaSpace is running smoothly, other internet service providers may experience slower service, which could limit your upload speed.
- Upload speeds and Kaltura's upload performance varies, but an upload speed of 10 Mbps should be able to upload a 250 MB file to Kaltura in about 4.5 minutes.
The amount of time it takes Kaltura MediaSpace to process a file depends on file size, duration, quality, and usage.
Generally it takes about 2-3 times the video's duration for Kaltura MediaSpace to display your video in low definition (high definition versions take longer to process). For example, a 15 minute video will usually take about 30-45 minutes to process (in low-definition). When Kaltura MediaSpace is being heavily used, processing times will lengthen and could take up to 24 hours.
Uploaded Media can be found under the My Media button on the title bar. You cannot preview or publish a video while it is being processed but can edit media information. After you've uploaded your media you may want to review Canvas - Upload and embed a new Kaltura Mediaspace video in a Canvas page.