NetID Account Recovery (Password Reset)
This document provides a step-by-step walkthrough of resetting your forgotten password.If you know your password and want to change it for security purposes, follow the instructions in NetID - Changing a Password.
Note: Your NetID typically includes some combination of your first and last name. If you are unsure whether you are using the correct NetID, please see NetID - Recovering a Forgotten NetID.
- Go to the Account Recovery tool located at: https://www.mynetid.wisc.edu/recover
- Enter your NetID, and date of birth. If you have been issued a Wiscard (UW Madison photo ID), you must enter the Wiscard number and issue code, otherwise click I don't have a Wiscard.
Note: If you don't remember your NetID, click "I don't know my NetID." If you have confirmed a non @wisc.edu (ex: gmail or hotmail) recovery email address, you can enter it here and click "Email My NetID" to have your NetID emailed to you.
- Enter the answers to your security questions, then click Next. Your answers are not case sensitive.
Note: If you have already confirmed your recovery email address, you will only be asked one security question.
- If you have previously entered a recovery email address, it will be displayed here. Otherwise, enter a non @wisc.edu address and click Send Verification Email.
- You should receive the email at your recovery address within a few minutes. The password reset link is valid for 2 hours after the email has been sent. Click the link in the email to be taken back to the Account Recovery tool.
- Enter a new password that meets the criteria in NetID - Password Criteria and Requirements, then click Next.
- After you've saved your new password, you are finished. You will see a Success screen once your password has been updated.
Note: If you need assistance at any point throughout this process, contact the DoIT Help Desk.