Kaltura - How to Upload Videos to MediaSpace using Your Phone [UW-Madison]
Warning! Uploading videos takes a lot of data! The Learn@UW-Madison team recommends that you wait until you are on WiFi to upload videos to Kaltura MediaSpace.
- Kaltura MediaSpace Go (KMS Go) app
- Your phone's browser.
Kaltura MediaSpace Go (KMS Go) app
The preferred method utilizes Kaltura's KMS Go App. Basic instructions on installing KMS Go are available in Kaltura - Installing and configuring Kaltura MediaSpace Go (KMS Go) app for mobile devices [UW-Madison] . Kaltura has additional documentation in: Kaltura MediaSpace Go (KMS Go). Kaltura has additional documentation on creating or uploading content in their documents:
Using your phone's browser
The second method to upload content is through your phone's Internet Browser. To do so, follow these steps:
- Record your video with your Android or iPhone Camera application.
- Open a browser application on your smartphone and navigate to https://mediaspace.wisc.edu.
- Click the plus icon in the top right corner. Click "Media Upload".
- (Optional) If you have not yet logged in to Kaltura MediaSpace, you will be prompted to log in.
- Click Choose a file to upload.
- Either select a previously recorded video (recommended) or record a new video.
- The video will begin to upload. "Upload Completed!" will display when finished.
- (Optional) Kaltura will automatically set the file name as the name of the uploaded video. The file name is not always the best for identifying the video at a later date, so it is recommended that you give your video a more relevant title by changing the "Name" field.
- Once finished modifying the metadata, click Save at the bottom of the screen.
Even when Kaltura MediaSpace is running smoothly, other internet service providers may experience slower service, which could limit your upload speed.
- Upload speeds and Kaltura's upload performance varies, but an upload speed of 10 Mbps should be able to upload a 250 MB file to Kaltura in about 4.5 minutes.
The amount of time it takes Kaltura MediaSpace to process a file depends on file size, duration, quality, and usage.
Generally it takes about 2-3 times the video's duration for Kaltura MediaSpace to display your video in low definition (high definition versions take longer to process). For example, a 15 minute video will usually take about 30-45 minutes to process (in low-definition). When Kaltura MediaSpace is being heavily used, processing times will lengthen and could take up to 24 hours.