eText Pilot - Set-Up/Preparation for Instructors using a publisher Digital Learning Tool (DLT)
This document outlines some best practices for an instructor getting started with using a publisher Digital Learning Tool (DLT) in their course.
Example DLTs include Cengage MindTap, Pearson MyLab and Mastering series and Pearson Revel.
To ensure a successful semester using a DLT, be sure to spend some time preparing before the start of the term.
Add the publisher Digital Learning Tool (DLT) to your Canvas course
If you are using a publisher DLT, you may need to add the tool to your Canvas course navigation menu.
- Log in to Canvas at canvas.wisc.edu
- Navigate to the course you are teaching with the eText pilot.
- In the course navigation menu, click Settings.
- On the Settings page, click the Navigation tab.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page where hidden tools are listed.
- Drag the publisher tool to the desired location in the course navigation menu. Example publisher tools include Cengage MindTap, Pearson MyLab and Mastering and Pearson Revel.
- Click Save to save your changes.
Prepare your students
Consider adding resources to the homepage of your course to help reduce confusion and anxiety about the publisher DLT you have chosen to use. You may also wish to post an announcement in Canvas a few days prior to the start of your course, directing students to the DLT and encouraging them to begin exploring the tool.
Be sure to explain to your students how you will use the eText or DLT throughout the semester. Promote early engagement with and navigation in the DLT in a manner that reflects your expectations throughout the semester. If students have support questions related to use of the DLT they can be referred to the vendor for support. Information on where to go for vendor support can be found here.