WiscVPN - Troubleshooting the Palo Alto GlobalProtect Client (Windows)
This doc outlines the typical troubleshooting steps to follow when WiscVPN (Palo Alto GlobalProtect) is not working.
Uninstall and Reinstall Palo Alto Globalprotect
- WiscVPN - Uninstalling the Palo Alto GlobalProtect Client (Windows)
Update your Windows Folder settings to show hidden files and folders.
On Windows 10: Hit the Windows key on your keyboard, then type (without quotes) "Show hidden", then click the option that says "Show hidden files and folders", then click the line that says "Show hidden files, folders, and drives", then press Apply, then OK.
Delete the following folders on your Windows computer:
- C:\Program Files\Palo Alto Networks
- C:\Users\(Whichever user name you use to login to the computer)\AppData\Local\Palo Alto Networks
- Reinstall Palo Alto GlobalProtect
- Re-attempt to login per KB WiscVPN - Connecting to the Palo Alto GlobalProtect Client (Windows)
Common Error Messages
When attempting to start the client, if you receive an error message stating “The program can’t start because mfc120u.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem,” you can resolve the error by installing the Visual C++ runtime files which are downloadable in the following link: Visual C++ Redistributable Packages Download
Instructions for installing the C++ Redistributable Packages
- Click the link above. It will take you to the Microsoft website.
- Select the language you prefer from the dropdown menu and click the red "Download" button.
- Select the appropriate version.
- To find the correct version for your machine, go to this document: Windows (Vista, 7, 8, &10) - Determining 32-bit or 64-bit Versions
- If you cannot find the version for your computer, you may need to select the 'vcredist_arm.exe' version
- Follow download and installation prompts.
Resolving an Incorrect Portal Address
- First, click on the hamburger menu in the top right and click 'Settings'.
- Then, in the General tab of Settings, you can select the currently listed portal address under 'Portal', and click the 'Delete' button.
- After deleting, click the 'Add' button and type uwmadison.vpn.wisc.edu to add the new portal address. Then, you can attempt to connect again.
Fetching the GlobalProtect Logs
Providing the logs will help DoIT Technicians better assist in the troubleshooting process.
Find the GlobalProtect icon in the system tray and click the icon.
Click the hamburger menu, then click 'Settings'.
Click the 'Troubleshooting' tab, then click 'Collect Logs".
Once the logs have been collected, click 'Open Folder'.
- You will see a file named 'GlobalProtectLogs.zip'. Attach that file to the open ticket or email to send the logs to the Help Desk agent. Alternatively, upload the file to a cloud provider (Google Drive/OneDrive/Box), and email the link to the file to the Help Desk agent.
Troubleshooting Static IP Accounts
When experiencing issues with a static IP account, try refreshing the connection. To do this, follow these steps.
- Open GlobalProtect and connect normally.
- Once connected, click on the hamburger menu in the top right.
- Then, click Refresh Connection.
Note: This will prompt you to login again.