Pressbooks - Requesting an account and resources to get started (UW-Madison)
This document provides information on how instructors can request an account and resources to get started with Pressbooks.
Pressbooks is software that lets you author books for the web and in formats like PDF, MOBI, and EPUB. It can be used to create Open Educational Resources (OER).
Requesting a Pressbooks Account
If you are affiliated with UW-Madison and would like to use Pressbooks to create an open textbook or other learning material, please e-mail Learn@UW at email@example.com. Include your netid. Once you have an account you can access Pressbooks at wisc.pb.unizin.org and login.
Your account will be manually created. Your login will be your netid and the e-mail associated with it will be the e-mail listed for you in the UW-Madison directory. You will receive an e-mail when your account is created which will include your username and a link to set your password.
The first step after getting your account and setting your password is to create your Pressbook. See Pressbooks - Creating a Pressbook (UW-Madison) .
Resources on Pressbooks
If you'd like a consult on Pressbooks you can e-mail Learn@UW at firstname.lastname@example.org. There are several self help resources you can utilize to learn to author content with Pressbooks:
- Pressbooks User Guide - Documentation on Pressbooks written by the people behind Pressbooks.
- Pressbooks YouTube Videos - A collection of tutorial videos on using the Pressbooks online book writing and publishing software platform.
- UW-Madison KnowledgeBase Pressbooks documents - UW-Madison documentation on Pressbooks. Learn@UW will be adding to these over the course of the Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 semester.
- UW-Madison Pressbooks Users Group - A community of practice which gives users a forum to discuss successes, challenges, and issues related to their Pressbooks projects. E-mail email@example.com to be subscribed to the wisclist.
- Pressbooks 101 - A Pressbook written by LSS on the use of Pressbooks.