Canvas - Accessing your Kaltura media in Canvas with Kaltura My Media [UW-Madison]
UW-Madison users can access Kaltura MediaSpace tools and their media by logging into mediaspace.wisc.edu. Users can also access Kaltura MediaSpace tools and their Kaltura media by using Kaltura My Media inside Canvas. You can then embed it anywhere in Canvas you can use the Canvas rich content editor (RCE).
Accessing Kaltura My Media in Canvas
Users can access Kaltura My Media two different ways - their user profile and a Canvas course navigation option. The first time you access Kaltura My Media you may be prompted to authorize Canvas to access your Kaltura account. If you are prompted to, click Authorize.
Access Kaltura My Media via your user profile
- While logged into Canvas click on your user icon in the upper left,
- Click on Kaltura My Media:
- Your My Media page will display which includes all your uploaded media, and media that has been shared with you as a co-publisher, or co-editor.
Access Kaltura My Media via your Canvas course navigation
Instructors can activate Kaltura My Media as a course navigation option by adding it via Settings → Navigation. For more directions on how an instructor can enable this option, see How do I manage Course Navigation links?. If an instructor has activated this option, users can access "Kaltura My Media" from the course navigation:
NOTE: Kaltura My Media will show you your own media when you click on it. Even though it is in the course navigation this media is not available to other users in the course. Any user in the course who clicks on Kaltura My Media will see their own media.We generally encourage you to embed Kaltura media in a Canvas page for your students to view by following Canvas - Upload and embed a new Kaltura Mediaspace video in a Canvas page [UW-Madison] . If you want to create a Kaltura Course Media Gallery see Kaltura - Using "Kaltura Gallery" course media galleries and analytics in Canvas [UW-Madison] .
Upload videos to Kaltura My Media
After accessing Kaltura My Media by one of the above methods you can upload an audio or video file by following these instructions:
- On the My Media screen, click the Add New button and click Media Upload.
- Read the notification and click the checkbox indicating you agree to the terms and conditions if you do.
- Click Choose a File to Upload, locate the file on your computer, and select it. Kaltura will display a progress bar as the file uploads.
- On the "Upload Media" page enter a name, description, tags, and add collaborators.
- Click Save.
Even when Kaltura MediaSpace is running smoothly, other internet service providers may experience slower service, which could limit your upload speed.
- Upload speeds and Kaltura's upload performance varies, but an upload speed of 10 Mbps should be able to upload a 250 MB file to Kaltura in about 4.5 minutes.
The amount of time it takes Kaltura MediaSpace to process a file depends on file size, duration, quality, and usage.
Generally it takes about 2-3 times the video's duration for Kaltura MediaSpace to display your video in low definition (high definition versions take longer to process). For example, a 15 minute video will usually take about 30-45 minutes to process (in low-definition). When Kaltura MediaSpace is being heavily used, processing times will lengthen and could take up to 24 hours.
By default the video is private and only viewable by you. You can embed the video in your Canvas course anywhere the Canvas rich content editor (RCE) is available by following Canvas - Upload and embed a new Kaltura Mediaspace video in a Canvas page [UW-Madison] . Alternately you can publish it to a Canvas course media gallery by clicking Published. Kaltura will display a list of courses you are enrolled in. Check the desired classes and click Save.Canvas rich content editor (RCE)