DoIT Shared Tools - GitLab for Research
DoIT GitLab (git.doit.wisc.edu) is a platform that supports collaborative research and the sharing of code in academia. Currently, git.doit.wisc.edu, is available to researchers for both non-paid (academic) and paid research.
If you want to use GitLab for research purposes, please contact the DoIT Shared Tools team for a needs analysis.
Note: a UW-Madison NetID is required for access to GitLab.
A needs analysis will help the Shared Tools team make recommendations for things such as:
- Methods for using GitLab for collaboration with colleagues outside of UW-Madison
- How git.doit.wisc.edu can be used to support research
DoIT's GitLab instance can be a useful tool for UW-Madison researchers and labs in the following ways:
- Version control and collaboration with UW-Madison colleagues on source code for research tools and web applications
- Data analysis and validation of results using GitLabCI
DoIT GitLab should not be used for:
- Storage of large amounts of data (the current storage limit on each repository is 2GB)
- Storage of Restricted Data, Sensitive Data, PHI or any other class of data that's not for general consumption