University Committee Meeting Minutes
approved March 31, 2014
March 24, 2014
Present: Bernard-Donals, Farrar Edwards, Fair, Meyerand, Petty
The meeting was called to order at 1:04 p.m.
1. Minutes of the meeting of March 17, 2014 (Documents 130473-474) were approved as disseminated
2. Updates and Announcements—Town Hall meetings will be held on a proposal to create a School of World Languages, Literatures and Cultures. The subject of the 3/31 Town Hall will be governance under the proposed model. JoEllen will attend. Dorothy will attend the session on 4/2.
3. Alcohol Policy—Darrell Bazzell, Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration continued the discussion from the previous meeting regarding the new alcohol use policy. He’s thinking about options (such as the use of gift funds that fall under Dean’s control) for larger programs for which the new policy places a financial burden on the department or program of a unit. It was suggested that Darrell present the policy and take questions about its implementation to-date at a Senate meeting.
Professional School Tuition—When asked about the Chancellor’s emerging proposals for increasing professional school tuition, Darrell noted that multi-year plans and implementation phase-ins seem to be the approach with the goal of our tuition rate being competitive with our peers. He reported that the schools under consideration for the increases are: the Schools of Medicine and Public Health; Veterinary Medicine; Pharmacy; and Business.
4. Dual Roles—The committee discussed a draft policy and procedure document regarding dual role academic appointments and rule waivers. Edits and revisions to the document were discussed. Bill was asked to assist with editing the document for discussion at a subsequent meeting.
5. Professor of Practice—The committee discussed a draft policy and guidelines for approval and use of the professor of practice title. Edits and suggestions were made.
6. LGBT Issues—Tehshik Yoon presented the LGBT Issues Committee Report (Document 130475) that will be presented to the Senate at the March meeting.
7. At 3:25 p.m. it was moved and seconded that the meeting convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss personnel matters.
8. At 3:35 the meeting reconvened in open session.
9. CDCC—Marlys Macken and Tim Shedd presented the Committee on Diversity and Climate (CDCC) recommendations for revisions to their committee’s section of FPP. Clarifications about some of the recommendations were addressed. In addition, there was discussion regarding the scope of the relationships of the ad hoc diversity committee and the chief diversity officer with the CDCC. It was decided that before the recommendations could be adopted and moved forward to the Senate, a meeting between the UC and the three parties should take place to discuss the relationships.
10. VCRGS/DGS—The UC met with Tim Donahue to discuss approaches to presenting the Working Group recommendations that will be voted upon at the up-coming Senate meeting.
William A. Heiss
Interim Secretary of the Faculty