InterPro - Teaching & Learning - Tools & Technology - Canvas Quizzing
This document centralizes resources related to creating Canvas quizzes
DescriptionThe Canvas LMS has a built-in quizzing tool that connects with the built-in Gradebook. This tool allows for both automatic and manual grading based on question type, and can also be used to trigger completion certificates for Non-Credit Professional Development courses.
What are Quizzes? from Canvas Instructure
What quiz types can I create for a course? from Canvas Instructure
AccessThis is Canvas's built-in Quizzing tool. To create a quiz, go to the Quizzes option from the left navigation bar and then choose the + Quiz button to create a new quiz. Like assignments, quizzes can be added to specific assignment groups within the Gradebook. For more on assignments, see InterPro - Teaching & Learning - Tools & Technology - Canvas Assignments, Feedback, and Grading.
Application and LimitationsQuizzes have many applications, addressed below in the resources. Quizzes can be set to to have specific due dates and to open and close to students at specific times if required.
Questions can be set to shuffle within the quiz, or appear in a fixed order. Answers can also be set to shuffle or stay in fixed order, however, this setting applies to all questions within a quiz.
The main limitation with Canvas Quizzes is in the limited question types built into Canvas quizzing. Use cases for credit courses that require advanced features should see InterPro - Teaching & Learning - Tools & Technology - Atomic Assessments. Note, this feature is not available to non-credit courses at this time, unless special permission is granted.
Best Practices for Online Assessments
- [Link for document 42444 is unavailable at this time.]
- Canvas - Best practices for delivering online quizzes and exams in Canvas
Quiz Questions - Question Banks
- What are Question Banks?
- Question Bank video tutorial
- To shuffle the questions in a quiz, create a Question Group linked to a Question Bank
- To keep questions in sequential order, create a quiz by finding questions in a Question Bank
Quiz Questions - Question Types
- Multiple Choice
- Fill In the Blank
- Fill In Multiple Blanks
- Multiple Answers
- Multiple Dropdowns
- Numerical Answer
- Essay (manual grading)
- File Upload (manual grading)
- Text (no question)
Quiz Questions - Feedback
- Setting up feedback for students to view after submitting a quiz
- Can be answer-specific, or can give general feedback for questions as a whole
- Setting up immediate feedback as students advance through a quiz, one question at a time
- Allows students to learn as they answer each question, but requires more manual setup
- Doesn't work well if you would like to shuffle questions
- What options can I set in a quiz?
- Canvas - How to extend time for a quiz
- Canvas - Examining the Grade Posting Policy
- Quiz Settings to Maximize Security
- InterPro - Teaching & Learning - Tools & Technology - Canvas Assignments, Feedback, and Grading
- InterPro - Online Learning - Tools & Technology - Canvas - Content and Certificate Release Conditions (Module Requirements & Prerequisites)
- InterPro - Teaching & Learning - Tools & Technology - Atomic Assessments