NetID - Adding or Changing a Recovery Email Address
In order to recover your forgotten NetID or password you will need to submit an alternate email address. We also recommend reviewing and updating your password recovery questions. You can complete these activities by following the instructions below.
- Go to the NetID Modification Tool.
- Enter your NetID and Password and click Log in. You will need to authenticate with MFA-Duo.
- Scroll down to SET RECOVERY EMAIL.
- Enter the email address you wish to use.
Important: Your recovery email address may not be a UW Madison (@wisc.edu or @<dept>.wisc.edu) email address. Valid email addresses include @gmail.com, @yahoo.com, @hotmail.com, etc. Additionally, a recovery email address can only belong to a single NetID. You will be unable to set a recovery email address that is already set as the recovery address of a different NetID.
- Click Set Password and/or Recovery Email to submit your change. Two messages will be sent to the email address specified. One will be a summary of the changes resulting from completing the NetID Modification process. The other will be a request to confirm the recovery email address you selected.
- Open the email with subject Confirm your UW-Madison recovery email address sent from UW-Madison Login <email@example.com>, and click on the confirmation link in the message to confirm that your recovery email address belongs to you. You will need to log in with your NetID and password, and authenticate with MFA-Duo. An example of this email is pictured below.
Note: You must click this link within 24 hours of receiving the message.
If you encounter any problems while setting your Recovery E-mail please contact the DoIT Help Desk.
You may also wish to verify / change your Account Recovery questions: Changing Account Recovery Questions