Canvas - Getting started with Canvas at UW-Madison
This document outlines resources for instructors on how to get started with Canvas at UW-Madison.
Credit-based Courses Available in Canvas
All credit-based courses are now available in Canvas and can be accessed at https://canvas.wisc.edu.
Non-Credit Courses Available in Canvas
- Lifelong learning (enrichment or professional training) courses for external audiences
Employee/Staff onboarding and training courses
- Large‐scale training and compliance courses for employees
- Large‐scale compliance courses for students
For questions about Lifelong Learning (enrichment or professional training) courses for external audiences to Canvas, please contact:
- Alan Ng (email@example.com), Director of Outreach Technology, DCS
- Mary Thompson (firstname.lastname@example.org), Assistant Dean, DCS
For questions about transitioning employee/staff on-boarding and training courses, large-scale training and compliance courses for employees, and large-scale compliance courses for students, please contact the DoIT Help Desk.
Request a Canvas Sandbox Course
Canvas sandbox courses are available for those who wish to experiment with Canvas and begin designing courses in the meantime. Requests can be submitted through the Canvas Course Request form. Information on the automatic creation of Course Guide courses in Canvas is available in Canvas - How Automated Course and Section Creation Works (UW-Madison)
Canvas Support and Training
For information on available Canvas training resources, please see Canvas - Training Resources (UW-Madison).
For Canvas support, please see Get Help from DoIT. For the latest updates about Canvas, please see the UW-Madison Canvas Information website. We also encourage you to use the UW-Madison Canvas Community.
Canvas System Requirements and Supported Browsers
- Please see Instructure's guide "What are the basic computer specifications for Canvas?"
- Please see Instructure's guide "Which browsers does Canvas support?"
Canvas Release Schedule
Instructure releases updates to Canvas monthly. Please see "Canvas Release Notes" for information on new releases. New releases also generally contain a short video summarizing changes in a release. Check the release notes often to stay informed on bug fixes or new features coming to Canvas.