MFA-Duo - Managing Multi-factor Authentication Device Settings
This document will provide instructions for managing device settings for Duo Multi-factor Authentication. The Multi-Factor Authentication Portal can be used to add and remove devices as well as manage default device settings.
Note: This document is intended for use after you have already registered at least 1 device (smartphone, tablet or token). If you have not yet registered a device, see MFA-Duo - How to Enroll for MFA Duo for your NetID Login Account
Accessing the Multi-Factor Authentication Portal
- To access the Multi-Factor Authentication Portal, navigate to www.mfa.wisc.edu log in with your NetID and password.
- Click on Manage MFA Preferences & Devices.
- You will be prompted to use MFA to authenticate at this point.
- You will now see the My Settings & Devices page which lists the devices that you have already registered for MFA.
- Clicking Device Options button next to the device presents a list of available options for the device.
- Reactivate Duo Mobile (Smartphone, Tablet): Allows you to complete the setup of Duo Mobile on a device if the app was uninstalled or you received a new smartphone or tablet.
- Change Device Name (Smartphone, Tablet): Allows you to change the name of the device.
- Red Trash Icon (Smartphone, Tablet, Token): Allows you to remove the device from your approved devices.
- Note: if you have only one MFA device registered, you will not see the Red Trash Icon.
Add Another Device (Recommended)
UW-Madison encourages users to add multiple devices in the event that they lose access to a single device.
To add another device, follow the instructions here: MFA-Duo - Adding Additional or Backup Devices.
Default Device Settings
- Default Device: Allows you to pick the default device that you log in with.
- When I log in Allows you to select the default authentication method. UW-Madison recommends you do NOT select 'Automatically send this device a Duo Push'. If you select to automatically send a push to this device, you will not have the opportunity to select 'remember me for 12 hours' during the initial login push.
More on default devices can be found here: MFA-Duo - Setting a Default Login Device
See accessibility & usability information
We work with our users to address access and usability barriers in the MFA user experience. Learn details about known access barriers and workarounds at MFA-Duo - Accessibility & Usability Information. If you encounter a barrier or need assistance, please contact the DoIT Help Desk or call (608) 264-4357.
How to get access to a Security Key or Duo Token/Fob
Students can come to the DoIT Help Desk location at 1210 W. Dayton St., Madison, WI 53706 on the first floor of the Computer Science and Statistics Building or at the front desk of Ebling Library, located on the 2nd floor of the Health Sciences Learning Center (HSLC) located at 750 Highland Avenue. In addition, get help at dozens of DoIT Pop-Up Help Desks locations (access the Google doc using your NetID@wisc.edu). Students with disabilities can also request a token or security key at the McBurney Disability Resource Center, 702 W. Johnson St., Suite #2104, Madison WI 53751 on the 2nd floor.
Faculty, Staff, and Researchers
Employees can get access to devices for MFA at their Human Resources Office or IT department. For questions contact the DoIT Help Desk at (608) 264-4357 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.