2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, March 6, 2014
67 Bascom Hall
Members Present: Marwa Bassiouni; Denny Hackel; Trish Iaccarino; Heather McFadden, Chair; Kevin Niemi, Vice Chair; Robert Newsom; Erin Silva
Guests: Jason Jankoski, Steve Lund, Mark Markel, Patrick Sheehan, Angie Rosas
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.
The minutes of February 27, 2014 were approved as distributed.
Guest: Mark Markel, Dean of School of Veterinary Medicine
Dean Markel gave a brief introduction about himself as well as information on what he has done since becoming Dean. The school has been engaged in a strategic planning process. The plan was finalized at the end of June 2013. There are eight priorities with executive sponsors for each.
The Vet Med Committee on Academic Staff Issues (CASI) meets four times per year. The Dean chairs the CASI. There are six members of the CASI: three elected and three appointed. They put on a variety of brown bags each semester.
• Chair Heather McFadden reported on planning for the Academic Staff Institute. She asked if ASEC would be interested in taking part in the closing session. She distributed a memo from the faculty committee looking at bullying. The memo includes specific recommended changes to Faculty Policies and Procedures (FPP). Heather M. will send out a message to the Assembly about the discussion on the Leadership Restructuring for the Vice Chancellor for Research/Dean of Graduate School that will occur at the Assembly. There have been 46 applications for the Athletic Board. Jeff and Marwa will attend the governance sessions with the Provost candidates.
• Secretary Heather Daniels gave a report on the ballot system for this year’s election. It will use individualized links. She reported that the student referendum on the Recreational Sports plan passed overwhelmingly. She also reported on the Classified Research bill at the State Legislature.
Erin Silva gave an update on Educational Innovation. The candidates for the director position were interviewed last week. The language about the call for MOOCs has been changed to add academic staff as those eligible to submit a proposal.
Guest: Steve Lund, Patrick Sheehan, and Angie Rosas, Office of Human Resources
A draft policy was distributed for performance management. The draft policy currently conflicts with a resolution passed by the Academic Staff Assembly in Fall 2012. There was a discussion on how to handle this issue. ASEC agreed to discuss and then provide a response to the Academic Personnel Office (APO).
• Motion to not bring amended language regarding performance management back to the Academic Staff Assembly. Seconded. Approved.
• ASEC discussed revisions to the Pay Tools Portfolio. Heather M. will share with the University Committee chair, and Heather D. will share it with Steve Lund.
• In regards to the motion regarding changes to FPP for the Committee on Women in the University, ASEC discussed FPP 6.05, which contains general appointing authority information. This section takes care of the appointing authority for all academic staff in chapter 6, unless otherwise stated within a specific committee description.
• There was a discussion regarding possible changes to the bicycle/pedestrian subcommittee. The proposal would make the subcommittee a true subcommittee, drawing only members from the Campus Transportation Committee. ASEC was in favor of allowing for at least one member of the subcommittee to be drawn from outside the Campus Transportation Committee.
• Robert Newsom agreed to draft a charge for the Ad Hoc Committee on Bridge Funding.
• Next ASEC Meeting, March 20, 2014
-April Assembly AgendaConvene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss nominations for the Academic Staff Appeals Committee and appointment to the Committee on Retirement Issues. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
-Shared Governance Committee Reports
-Guests: Paul DeLuca, Steve Lund
Motion to nominate Meredith Luschen for the Academic Staff Appeals Committee (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Motion to appoint Shelly Godar to the Committee on Retirement Issues (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Reconvened in open session. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Meeting adjourned at 4:30 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff