Topics Map > Compensation and Economic Benefits Committee (CEBC) > 2009-2010
Compensation and Economic Benefits Committee Minutes 4-15-10
CEBC Meeting Minutes
April 15, 2010
10:00-11:00, Room 350 Bascom
Present: Dennis Ray, Kay Schoenherr, Miriam Simmons, and Eliza Waters
Absent: Beth Workmaster, Alec Widerski, Cheryl Diermyer, and Linda Pittz
Next Meeting: To Be Determined
1. Category A Maxima Discussion
Dennis Ray, Miriam Simmons, Eliza Waters, Alec Widerski, and Jim Wollack attended the March 25 ASEC meeting when Steve Lund, Interim Director of the Human Resources Office, and Steve Stern, Associate Vice Chancellor for Faculty and Academic Staff, discussed the Agility Agenda and their responses to the Category A Maxima report.
Discussion summary from ASEC minutes:
• Steve Lund observed that:
o Removal of salary caps require statutory change and this is unlikely to happen
o Gradually increasing the salary maxima would require demonstrated support from the majority of UW System institutions and then Regent approval
o Market study is also problematic.
• Steve Stern will lay the ground work for change by working with UW System Administration. He is interested in seeing President Reilly's Compensation Advisory Committee report which will be presented to the Board of Regents in June.
• The Chancellor is supportive of the agility agenda, which is part of Stern's "Academic Staff Excellence Rewards Initiative."
• Both Steve Lund and Steve Stern will meet with UW System HR office to discuss increased flexibility in Academic Staff appointments. Steve Stern believes it will take two years or more before a change is made.
Jim Wollack summarized the Category A Maximum Report at the Academic Staff Assembly on April 12. The Assembly will take action on the recommendations at the May 10 meeting.
2. ESR Update:
Eliza Waters and Kay Schoenherr will update the Academic Staff’s FAQ (Frequently asked questions for UW-Madison Academic Staff) regarding the ESR (Extraordinary Salary Range) to encourage its use, if applicable.
Minutes submitted by Kay Schoenherr