Topics Map > Research Policy and Compliance > Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) > Human Subjects Research Training
Instructions for Completing CITI Human Participants Research Training
1. All UW-Madison personnel listed on a human participants study must take CITI Human Participants Research Training using their NetIDs. Generally, personnel listed on studies reviewed by the Education and Social/Behavioral Sciences IRB should complete the UW Social and Behavioral Course, and personnel listed on studies reviewed by the Health Sciences or Minimal Risk IRBs should complete either the UW Biomedical Course or the VA Human Subjects Protections Course (if listed on a VA study).
2. Login to CITI through the UW CITI portal with your NetID. If this is your first time logging in, a NetID linked CITI account will automatically be created for you.
3. If this is your first time taking UW-Madison’s Human Participants Research Training, select the Main Menu tab and click on the “Add Course or Update Your Learner Groups” link under the "University of Wisconsin Madison Courses" drop-down to add the basic course that is most relevant to your research (See Question 2 on the “Add Course or Update Your Learner Groups” page).
- The IRB Member/Staff Course is only required for those currently serving on a UW IRB.
4. If you previously took a UW-Madison basic course and your training is about to expire (UW-Madison Human Participants Research Training is valid for three
years), you can take a refresher course. The refresher course should automatically appear in your CITI account.
- Verify your training expiration dates using the CITI Training Lookup. Please note that training not taken within CITI (HIPAA, Conflict of Interest, & Safety) is listed separately in the Training Lookup and does not indicate that the individual has multiple CITI accounts.
Both the basic and refresher courses have the same
title, but clicking on the course title will indicate whether it is the
basic or refresher course.
- If the refresher course is not in your account, click on the "Add Course or Update Learner Groups" link under "My Learner Tools for University of Wisconsin - Madison" from CITI's Main Menu page and confirm that the relevant human participants course is selected. If the relevant course is not selected, please select it and click the Submit button at the bottom of the page. If the refresher course is still not appearing in your account after completing the above steps, contact the Office of Research Policy at email@example.com.
5. Once you have the relevant courses in your account, click on the course title to begin the course and follow the instructions within CITI to complete your training. On average, it takes two hours to complete a basic course and one hour to complete a refresher course. If needed, courses can be completed in multiple sessions.
- Completing a course requires earning an 85% average on all quiz questions, but quizzes can be retaken.
6. Once you have completed the course(s), your training will be visible in the CITI Training Lookup and ARROW after the next download of data from CITI. Downloads of training data from CITI occur at 12:00 am, 6:00 am, 12:00 pm, and 6:00 pm CST.
7. If you experience any difficulty, please contact the Office of Research Policy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-890-4399. Support is provided Monday - Friday during normal business hours.