Topics Map > Research Policy and Compliance > Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) > Human Subjects Research Training
Instructions for Linking Previous CITI Training to Your NetID
If you took CITI human participants research training without using your current UW-Madison NetID, please follow the three steps below to request the linking of your training to your NetID. This may be needed if you took CITI training at an institution other than UW-Madison and would like to receive credit for any modules in the UW-Madison version of CITI training. Linking may also be needed for Madison VA personnel who completed VA human subjects training without using a NetID.
- Record the CITI account member ID(s) you want linked to your NetID:
- Log in to your CITI account at www.citiprogram.org
- Write down the CITI member ID that is at the top right of the "Main Menu" page.
- Label this number “Member ID Number(s) to be linked”
- If you have more than one CITI account that you would like linked, log in to those accounts and record those member IDs also.
- Log out of all CITI accounts.
- Log in to the UW-Madison CITI portal using your NetID credentials – this will automatically create new CITI account that is linked to your NetID, OR if you already have a NetID linked account, you will be logged into your NetID linked account.
- The portal webpage above has instructions for requesting a NetID as well as NetID password help, if needed.
- After entering NetID and password,you will be re-directed to the CITI website.
- Write down the CITI Member ID that is at the top right of the "Main Menu" page.
- Label this number “Member ID Number for NetID linked CITI account.”
Important: Do not attempt to request mergers directly from the CITI Program. Doing so may result in damage to your accounts and significant delays.
If you completed CITI training at an institution other than UW-Madison or the Madison VA, you will still need to complete some of the modules within the UW-Madison/Madison VA course after the merger is completed. To determine which modules are required complete the following steps:
- Log in to the UW CITI portal using your NetID.
- Add the relevant UW-Madison human participants traing course to you account (for instructions on how to add a course, see step 2 here).
- After adding your required course(s), you will be credited with any identical modules completed at your previous institution.
- To finish your required course, complete the modules that show as incomplete.
Once the merger is complete, your training will be visible in the CITI Training Lookup and ARROW after the next download of data from CITI. Downloads of training data from CITI occur at 12:00 am, 6:00 am, 12:00 pm, and 6:00 pm CST.
If you experience any difficulty, please contact the Office of Research Policy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-890-4399. Support is provided Monday - Friday during normal business hours.