Topics Map > Research Policy and Compliance > Conflict of Interest (COI) and Outside Activities Reporting (OAR) > COI Training
Conflict of Interest Training Course
This document describes the conflict of interest training that is offered by the university.
Important Update for September 2016
Online Conflict of Interest Training Access
Effective August 24, 2012, the University of Wisconsin-Madison Conflict of Interest Policy requires all investigators engaged in federally funded and/or human subjects research to receive training in financial conflict of interest. This conflict of interest training must be completed every four years. The training is offered through Learn@UW. You will need to self-register for the training course.
Sub-recipient investigators on a UW-Madison PHS award must also take UW-Madison COI training if the sub-recipient has agreed to comply with UW-Madison COI policy. Sub-recipient investigators who must take UW-Madison training must obtain a UW-Madison NetID to access the training. To obtain your NetID, complete the NetID Request form. The COI Office will email you with a link and instructions for activating your NetID. The email will also include instructions for accessing the Outside Activities Report (OAR) system for required disclosure of outside financial interests and for accessing Learn@UW for COI training.
Instructions for self-registration
1. If you have not previously registered for the course, please login to Learn@UW using your UW-Madison NetID. example picture
2. Click on the "Desire2Learn" link on the right-hand side of the page.
3. Select "Self-Registration" from the menu. example picture
4. Select course offering "conflictofinteresttrainingcourse_000_ongoing" and click on course offering name "Conflict of Interest Training Course" <Hint: use Ctrl+F and search for "Conflict of Interest">. example picture
5. Once the next screen appears, please click Register. example picture
6. After registering, you will see the Registration Form. Please fill out the form and click Submit. example picture
7. On the registration confirmation page, click on the Finish button. example picture
8. On the registration summary page, click the "Go to course offering" Conflict of Interest Training Course" link. example picture
The registration summary will take you directly to the course or you may click on the link to the COI course.
Instructions for navigating and completing the training
1. Click on the Content Browser link, then click on Training Instructions to begin. example picture
2. Please use the Next arrow in the upper right corner of the first page to advance the training (you may have to choose the next topic in the table of contents to continue). example picture
3. Use the Next button to read through all four modules of the course until you get to the module page: Conflict of Interest Training Course Quiz. example picture
4. Click on Start Quiz at the bottom of the page and answer the 10 quiz questions (you need at least a 70% to qualify for a passing grade). example picture
5. Complete the quiz and click Save, then click Submit. example picture
If you have any questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Sam Leinweber (608-890-4603) or Stephanie LeRoy (608-890-4460)