Topics Map > Campus Services > Backup & Storage > UW-Madison Google Apps
UW-Madison G Suite - Sharing UW-Madison Google Sites
This article explains the ways you can find and share sites with other UW-Madison G Suite users.
Sharing UW-Madison Google Sites
Log in to UW-Madison G Suite with your NetID and password using the following URL:
If you have multiple UW-Madison G Suite accounts, select your desired account from the list provided.
If you only have one UW-Madison G Suite account, you will be logged into your account automatically.
Don't see the account you are looking for? You may need to link your Office 365 service account to your NetID.
Open your Google Site
- Click Share in the upper right-hand corner
- On the Sharing settings menu, you will see a list of everyone who currently has access to your site. At the top of this list is your visibility level. Click the Change... link next to your visibility level to view all potential options.
- Select your desired view option from the list provided.
If you select UW-Madison G Suite or People at UW-Madison G Suite with the link, you will be able to select an additional level of access for that group:
- Can view
- Can edit
Once you are happy with your visibility options, click Save.
- Next, you can add permissions for individuals. Below the list of people who currently have access to your file, you will see a text box labeled Add people
As you begin typing the name or email address of the contact you would like to share with, the list below will auto populate with any UW-Madison G Suite account matching your criteria.
*Only UW-Madison G Suite accounts will be returned in the search results.
**If a user has privacy flagged any of their user information under FERPA their personal information will be omitted from UW-Madison G Suite contact list.
- After you select the person you want to share with, you will need to choose the level of access to give them. From the drop down menu, select Can edit, Can comment, or Can view.
- Hit the Send button to share your site and send out any notifications you have selected
- Review the settings you have selected to make sure they are correct.
If the site permissions are as desired, click the Done button.
Creating Intranets Using New Sites
- The new Google Sites currently does not allow for the creation of intranet sites.
- However, Google is planning on adding this feature in future updates. If you or your department would like to use New Sites to create an intranet site, Google recommends that you fill out this form with feature requests.
- You can use Classic Sites, although Classic Sites is set to be gradually decommissioned over the course of 2018/2019.
- Or, you can follow this document to learn how to use G Suite Groups to simulate an intranet.