Topics Map > OS and Desktop Applications > Operating Systems > Windows
User Profile Service Failed the Login (Vista, 7, 8, 10)
Due to a bug in Vista and Windows 7, users can get the error "User profile services failed the login" when trying to log in. They're unable to get into their user account, but can usually log in to safe mode just fine.
CAUTION: This document includes instructions for modifying the registry on your computer. Modifying the registry improperly can result in Windows becoming corrupted. You should only attempt these directions if you have your data backed up and are willing to risk creating additional problems. The DoIT Help Desk is not liable if you choose to attempt the fix described below.
Luckily, this bug has an easy fix.
- Boot into safe mode
- Click on the start button, and type "regedit" into the search bar.
- Hit enter to open regedit.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
- You'll see two "S-1-5...." folders with long names. One of them will end in ".bak"
- Rename the one that does not end in ".bak" to "(long string of numbers).bad" or ".old"
- Remove the ".bak" from the other one.
- With this folder selected, double click RefCount and type 0 and then click OK.
- With this folder selected, double click State and type 0 and then click OK.
- Reboot the machine, and it should be fixed.