Topics Map > Campus Services > Backup & Storage > My Drive/Shared Drive
Enterprise Storage - Terms of Service
This document describes the terms of service for DoIT's Enterprise Storage service offering.
Terms of Service
- Service Provider:
University of Wisconsin, Division of Information Technology, System Engineering and Operations, Systems Engineering and Shared Computing Services groups.
- Services Provided:
- DoIT will provide disk storage space from a DoIT Data Center, to the campus customer as requested. The storage is intended to provide disk storage space for large-scale, campus-wide services.
- DoIT will house storage in data center facilities that are physically secure, have UPS backed power, and managed cooling.
- Upon request DoIT will mirror the customer storage to another Data Center for purposes of disaster recovery. Data will be copied once per day to the remote site. Tier 1 must be mirrored.
- Enterprise Storage has 4 tiers of storage available which range in performance and price. For more information on pricing and performance, please see DoIT's File & Data Storage site.
- Enterprise Storage can be requested without mirroring which would cut the cost in half, but the customer must accept the risks associated with that. Tier 1 must be mirrored.
- Storage is billed monthly. Billing is based on the average amount utilized over a calendar month.
- Note that the billed amount is not based on the usage you see in your file system. It's based on what the storage sees as used blocks after it runs through a deduplication algorithm and after a storage team member shrinks the volume down to a size that's going to have some slack space. The storage software can't see inside your file system, it only sees the blocks. If you write a 10 GB file and later delete the file it doesn't know that the file is deleted because all the file system does is remove the file system pointer and say the space is available to be written over. The blocks still have data. In the long term it will be over written at some point with new data.
- Backup is not included in the storage pricing. DoIT recommends Bucky Backup for backing up data. For cost information, please see the Bucky Backup site. Tier 1 must use Bucky Backup.
- Turnaround time for storage requests is subject to storage resource availability.
- Service Period:
- Enterprise Storage services shall be provided until the customer files a request to have the storage removed, or DoIT discontinues the service. Customer will be billed monthly for the average daily storage allocation until the storage has been removed.
- Customer may request additional storage at any time.
- Storage Cancellation Policy:
- Customer will be allowed to terminate storage billing at any point simply by filing a removal request. Removal requests may take up to 10 working days to process.
- Billing will cease when all of the following conditions are met:
- DoIT has been provided with a removal request.
- Customer data has been removed from all DoIT Storage systems and the current billing month has ended. Billing for the final month is based on the average daily allocation during that month.
- In the event that DoIT determines the storage is being used inappropriately and/or impacting other customers or DoIT's ability to manage the storage systems, DoIT has the right to terminate service by providing 7 days’ notice to the customer contact.
- Billing will cease when all customer storage has been removed from the DoIT storage systems.
- Service Terms & Conditions:
- Installation Prerequisites
- Customer must schedule a consult by contacting email@example.com
- Based on the information from the consult, DoIT will determine if the stated purpose is appropriate for this service. This service is intended for enterprise services only.
- Customer must make sure that their department firewalls are updated to allow Windows File Sharing and Mac AFP traffic from the following subnet 10.128.38.0/24.
- Customer must have an IT support point of contact to act as a contact in case of issues.
- Major Incident Handling
- DoIT's Enterprise Storage is equipped with redundant disks, hot spares, dual controllers, redundant network connections, and dual power supplies. The data center has redundant power, cooling and UPS. However, incidents may occur which result in a loss of storage to the customer's server. In the event of a data center environmental crisis (climate control, power failure, fire, etc.), storage equipment may be shut off at DoIT's discretion.
- Notification of outages will be the same as other DoIT services. Customers should check the outages page at http://outages.doit.wisc.edu or contact the Help Desk at 608-264-HELP or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the event of an extended incident that causes loss of access to storage, the customer may be directed to connect to the mirrored storage at DoIT's alternate data center, if the customer requested mirrored storage.
- Upgrades and Patching
- DoIT will periodically perform necessary code upgrades and/or patching to the storage systems and servers. This work is normally scheduled for the 3rd Sunday in April and October. Emergency patches may be applied on any weekend if deemed necessary. Patching during the workweek will only happen under critical circumstances.
- Patches and code upgrades normally result in controller reboots. With redundant controllers and paths, the customer will not normally be impacted by this work. In the unlikely event that there is a loss of storage connectivity, the customer should simply re-connect to the server and notify DoIT of this event. If connectivity is still unavailable, the customer should contact the Help Desk at 608-264-HELP or email@example.com and open a case on Enterprise Storage.
- DoIT will provide offsite mirroring for protecting data in the event of a data center or storage system disaster, if the customer has requested this service. Tier 1 must be mirrored and backed up using Bucky Backup. However, offsite mirroring is not a replacement for periodic backups of your data. The customer is solely responsible for having data backed up. DoIT cannot guarantee that data will be available or recoverable in the event of an incident. If you do not have your own backup system in place, DoIT recommends Bucky Backup: https://www.doit.wisc.edu/services/backup-bucky-backup/
- Data Content and Security
- The customer is solely responsible for the content of their data and meeting any associated privacy or security standards such as HIPAA. DoIT has no knowledge or control over customers' content, nor do we control sharing of a customer’s storage. Note that the storage is not encrypted so secure content (such as Social Security numbers) should not be stored here.
- For Enterprise Storage (Tier 4 storage offering), because it is delivered over the campus IP network, DoIT cannot guarantee performance or uptime. If you have regular performance problems with this storage it is likely that it is being used for an unsuitable application with too high of an I/O rate. DoIT will recommend that you upgrade to a higher performing storage.
- Enterprise Storage staff may be contacted by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions and other problems should be addressed to the DoIT Help Desk (4-HELP)
The following Terms and Conditions must be followed while using the Enterprise Storage Service: