Topics Map > KnowledgeBase
Help Desk - Student Technical Writer Position Description
Help Desk Support - Student Technical Writer position description
Student Technical Writers perform the essential service of creating, updating, and maintaining documentation in the Help Desk KnowledgeBase and related KB spaces. If you've relied on a KB doc recently, there's a good chance that a Technical Writer is behind it!
Student Technical Writers have opportunities to build and demonstrate communication skills, which are essential to any future job search. In addition to writing clear and concise documentation, Technical Writers are expected to reach out to service providers across DoIT to learn about new processes and bring information back to the Help Desk. Technical Writers also have the opportunity to create and work on their own KB improvement projects.
You may be a good fit for the Technical Writer team if:
- You enjoy learning about new technologies and services.
- You respect the intelligence, computer literacy, and needs of our customers and users.
- You are good at breaking down processes into their component steps.
- You have a good eye for writing and editing (and maybe strong opinions about the Oxford comma).
- You have ideas about how we can continue to improve the KB.
Like SLPs and Developers, Student Technical Writers serve in a leadership role. Technical Writers are expected to continue their professional growth at the Help Desk by participating in trainings for new services and by completing HDQA training, if this has not been completed upon hire.
This position reports to the Technical Writer Team Lead.
Student Technical Writers will earn $12.75 an hour for all Help Desk hours worked.
50% - Help Desk Operations
- Perform regular Help Desk duties, including Phone, Chat/Email, or HDQA shifts, as appropriate.
45% - Knowledge Base Management
- Monitor the feedback that is submitted on KnowledgeBase documents. Update existing documentation and respond to customers as appropriate.
- Work with service providers and team lead to create new KnowledgeBase documents in support of DoIT services.
- Renew expiring KnowledgeBase content.
- Proofread KnowledgeBase documents for grammar, style, and user-oriented organization.
- Participate in weekly team meetings.
- Work independently and collaboratively to develop and implement KnowledgeBase improvement projects.
- Manage other KnowledgeBase related projects as they arise.
5% - Professional Development
- Professional development varies by individual. For example, individuals who don't know HTML may use their professional development time to learn or practice this skill.
Required Experience and Skills
- Excellent written communication and proofreading skills.
- Ability to work independently to prioritize and complete projects.
- Ability to work 15-20 hours per week at the Help Desk.
- Ability to become HDQA trained within two semesters, or already HDQA trained.
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Experience with and knowledge of HTML.
- Experience with and knowledge of CSS.