Topics Map > Campus Services > E-Learning > Canvas
Canvas - Getting Started with Piazza in Canvas (UW-Madison)
At UW-Madison, the Piazza product is integrated with the Canvas learning management system. This integration allows direct sign on to Piazza via a link from within Canvas. This document describes how to access Piazza from Canvas.
Adding Piazza to a Course (Instructors Only)
Students: See "Launching Piazza," below.
Before you launch Piazza for the first time, please make sure you review Piazza - Overview and know about the potential FERPA issues with Piazza.
To make the tool available you will have to add it to your Canvas course navigation bar.
- In your Canvas course, click Settings.
- Click the Navigation tab. At the bottom of the page is a list of tools that are not in the navigation bar.
- Locate Piazza and drag and drop it into the list of tools directly above.
- Click the Save button to save your changes.
Launching Piazza (Students, instructors, and all other users)
- To launch Piazza, select the Piazza link in the Canvas course navigation bar. A login box will appear. It will identify you as either a student or instructor in the class.
- Verify that the information is correct and continue as follows:
- You are prompted to set and confirm a new password at this screen.
- We recommend creating a password if you wish to use your account online at piazza.com or through the Android or iOS apps.
- If you've already created a Piazza account previously, you will see Account with email you provided already exists.
- Enter the password you used when setting up your Piazza account.
- Enter your estimated enrollment for the course, and click Create Class. This will take you to another course creation screen.
- If you already have created an account with Piazza, simply enter your password.
- If not, it will walk you through creating an account.
Instructors will see Piazza launch.
Note: You do not need to upload your course roster.
- Students will automatically get added to the Piazza roster as they click on the link in your Canvas course.
- Also, there is the possibility that a UW student not in your course will sign up for your Piazza course.
- You should periodically go through the roster in Piazza and remove students who are not in your class in order to protect your students FERPA rights.Students will see a screen asking for academic information. Entering your academic information is not required. Continue as follows:
- Enter your academic information or click the I'm not pursuing a degree checkbox.
- Click the Continue button.
- A screen appears, asking you to register for the Piazza Network.
- If you choose to join the Piazza Network, you will be asked to agree to terms of service.
- If not, you will proceed directly to Piazza Q&A.
- In fact, researching the Network product is highly recommended prior to signing up, as it allows your profile to be viewed by outside organizations.