Topics Map > Campus Services > E-Learning > Kaltura
Topics Map > Campus Services > E-Learning > Canvas
Canvas - Adding a Kaltura video quiz as a Canvas course assignment
This document describes how to add a Kaltura Mediaspace video quiz as an assignment in Canvas that connects to the Canvas course's gradebook.
Additional information is available in Kaltura's document Kaltura Video Quiz Canvas Gradebook User Guide.
If you use Kaltura video quizzes in your course we recommend that you provide instructions to your students that they should:
- Complete a video quiz within 3 hours once they start it,
- Complete it before the assignment's due date and "available until" date and time, and
- Make sure they click the "Submit" button at the end of the video quiz.
There is a known issue (Kaltura - Known Issue - Kaltura video quizzes sometimes don't send a grade to the Canvas gradebook )
where if a student starts a video quiz and doesn't complete it within 3 hours, that the quiz result will not be passed to the Canvas
gradebook. The quiz result will still be available in the video quiz's
analytics in Kaltura MediaSpace even if the quiz result is not passed to
the Canvas gradebook. It is also possible for a student to enter a video quiz assignment before the due/available until date and time, but not complete it until after that. If that occurs, a grade will be stored in Kaltura MediaSpace, but Canvas will not accept it due to it being past the due/available until date and time. We've also had a report of a grade not being transferred when a student had a problematic internet connection. We recommend instructors use this feature with the understanding that the above use-cases will cause grades to not be passed to the Canvas gradebook and require manual transfer of grades from MediaSpace to the Canvas gradebook.
Students using iOS devices with a mobile browser will have trouble viewing Interactive Video Quiz (IVQ) assignments. The best practice is for the student to use Chrome or Firefox on Windows or OSX. Alternately iOS users can use the Canvas Student app, or Safari to login to Canvas and follow the workaround described in Kaltura/Canvas - Known Issue - Enabling third party cookies: viewing Kaltura media in Canvas displays message about browser cookies issue to view the IVQ assignment in Canvas on iOS.
If after reading the above issues with Kaltura video quizzes you'd still like to integrate them with your Canvas course, follow the directions below:
- Create a Kaltura Interactive Video Quiz in Kaltura MediaSpace as outlined in Kaltura - Adding questions to your videos with Kaltura video quizzes
- In your Canvas course click on Assignments.
- Click the +Assignment button to add an assignment.
- Enter the assignment details including the assignment name, description, points, group, and "display grade as" settings.
- Under Submission Type click the drop-down and select External Tool.
- Under External Tool Options click the Find button.
- Scroll to and click on Kaltura Video Quiz from the list of available tools:
- A Link Resource from External Tool window will open and display a list of Kaltura Interactive Video Quizzes. Select the video quiz you want your students to take by clicking on the blue </> Emed button next to the quiz. You can further customize the embed by clicking the gear icon.
- You will be taken back to the list of available external tools. Click the red Select button.
- Set the dates you would like the video quiz to be available.
- If you are ready to make the video quiz available to students, click Save & Publish. Otherwise just click Save. The video quiz grade item will not show up in the Grades tool until you publish the assignment the video quiz is part of.