Google is streamlining your folder/file structure with shortcuts starting Summer 2022
Posted: 09:52:04, Monday, Jul 18, 2022 Expiration: 09:52:04, Tuesday, Jul 25, 2023
Starting Summer 2022, Google will automatically update files owned by multiple parent folders with shortcuts. Individuals who used the “Add to my Drive” action to create a copy of a file to another parent folder will notice the copy will be replaced with a shortcut. The original file and its original parent folder will not be changed. The purpose of this update is to optimize storage usage and streamline file management.
- You cannot opt-out of this change.
- File/folder sharing settings and ownership will not change.
- You’ll get a notification in Google Drive once the update is complete.
- Learn more: https://support.google.com/drive/answer/10864219?hl=en-GB.
Prepare for this change (optional)
- To see the duplicate locations of a specific file, click on the file in Google Drive. At the bottom of the screen, if the item is an impacted file, you'll see a bar with a number of folders.
- Familiarize yourself with shortcuts.
Steps to take after the change (optional)
- Search for impacted files by typing "is:replaced" in the Google Drive search bar.
- Verify permissions settings for affected files.
If you have any questions about this change, please contact the DoIT Help Desk.
UW-Madison Google Workspace team
-- UW Google Apps: Christina Gomez
Created: 09:59:38, Monday, Jul 18, 2022 (by Christina G.)
Updated: 09:59:38, Monday, Jul 18, 2022 (by Christina G.)