DoIT Departmental Tech Support - Supported OS Policy
This document describes DoIT Support's supported operating system (OS) policy, including what constitutes an unsupported OS and what happens to machines falling into this category.
What OS Versions are Supported?
Typically the three most recent major OS versions are supported, however support for newly released major versions of OSes will lag slightly behind public availability to allow for evaluation, compatibility testing, and approval of the new OS by DoIT Support.
Why is the supported OS policy important?
Some of the most important reasons to remain up to date are:
- Improved security
- Access to latest features
- Better compatibility
- Better device performance
- Vendor support
- Increased productivity and efficiency
What happens if my device is not on a supported OS version?
DoIT has many tools and methods to ensure devices stay up to date and will never fall into this category. If you have a system that is not on a supported OS version and are unsure how to update it, please contact DoIT Support so we can assist in getting the system up to date. If a system is too old to receive a supported OS version, we will likely recommend it be replaced. If you have received communication from Departmental Support that you have out of support devices, please see this documentation on how to handle that
What does it mean to be Unsupported?
When a machine falls into the unsupported category, we will provide best effort support, but no extraordinary effort will be made to ensure compatibility for an OS that is no longer supported.
- If a problem is determined to be due to old OS version, we will recommend an upgrade
- The machine will remain enrolled in and receive any compatible Managed Security Layer services
- We will not make any effort to deny updates or deployments due to unsupported OS, but if an update or deployment fails on these machines, we will not spend extra effort to ensure they receive them
- If hardware is unable to support one of the approved OS versions, we will recommend replacement