Topics Map > OS and Desktop Applications > Operating Systems > Mac OS X
Mac OS X - Gathering System Information
This document explains how to gather basic information about a computer running Mac OS X.
About This Computer
To find the Mac OS version and memory information, go to the Apple menu and choose About This Mac.
The About This Mac window should look similar to this:
- Version: the exact version of the system software
- Processor: the speed and type of processor
- Memory: how much RAM is installed
Hard Drive Space
To get infomation about the hard drive, click once on the icon to select it.
From the File menu, select Get Info.
The Macintosh HD Info window should look similar to the next image. You may need to click the triangle next to General to expand that section.
- Capacity: the total size of the hard drive
- Available: how much space is free on the drive
- Used: how much space is currently used on the drive
OS X includes a utility called System Profiler that provides more advanced information about the system. In the About This Mac window, click the More Info button to open System Profiler.