Topics Map > Campus Services > E-Learning > Kaltura
Topics Map > Campus Services > E-Learning > Learn@UW
Kaltura - Service Description
This document gives an overview of Kaltura.
Kaltura (vendor and product name) is a media management platform that provides users with the ability to upload, transcode, organize, manage, and hosting of media content (e.g. video, audio). It is comprised of a number of components:
- Kaltura MediaSpace (KMS) - Interface that provides users the ability to upload, share, browse, and access media content. The vendor describes it as "a market leading social video and rich media portal that enables you to create your own Campus or Corporate YouTubeâ¢."
- Kaltura Management Console (KMC) - Interface that provides access to many functions - content management, player design studio, integration settings, analytics, etc., which will be specifically available to designated campus Kaltura Administrators
- Kaltura Application Framework (KAF) - Integration point for Learn@UW (and other systems) that allows administrators access to configuration settings for the use of LTI and general access to the API
First-level support for Kaltura exists at the local campus level, with each campus having a designated Kaltura administrator. These campus administrators will be responsible for reporting large-scale technical issues and outages to a central Kaltura support group (Networked Media Services) or the DoIT Help Desk.
To access Kaltura through Desire2Learn, you must be using a D2L-supported browser. Additionally, Kaltura provides certification for certain browsers and operating systems used in conjunction with their standalone player.
- For information on the browsers supported for Desire2Learn, please see: Learn@UW - Recommended Software and Browsers.
- For information on supported software and browser requirements, please see:
Kaltura can be used with Canvas. More can be found here: Canvas - Accessing Kaltura Media (UW-Madison)
Kaltura can be accessed online at mediaspace.wisc.edu
The service is available to all UW System campuses (similar to Learn@UW) by virtue of UWSA contract that is renewed annually. The service began on 11/1/13.