Topics Map > Campus Services > E-Learning > Kaltura
Kaltura - Recommended Video Source Formats and Specifications (UW-Madison)
This document outlines settings to use when producing audio and video files for upload to Kaltura to ensure successful processing.
While Kaltura supports a wide range of video formats and codecs, there are some recommended specifications for creating source files. These settings will ensure that your source file is quickly processed, while offering the optimal video and audio quality. The lists and tables below are designed to supply you with the recommended settings you should use when compressing a video project in software as Adobe Premiere, iMovie, and others. More detailed settings can be found in Kaltura's document Recommended Video Source Formats and Specifications.
Recommended Video Settings
- Source Format/Container: MP4
- Video Codec: H.264
- Frame Size: As big as the largest frame size - generally we recommend a 1280 x 720 frame size
- Bitrate: 3,750-5,000 Kbps bitrate
See Frame Size with Recommended Bitrates for other frame sizes and data rates.
- Frame rate / frames per second / fps: Use original frame rate if possible. Common frame rates include 24, 25, 29.97, 30 fps
- Size: We recommend keeping the MP4 video file size below 2.0 GB.
- Audio: AAC or MP3
- MP4 Streaming - choose Fast-Start.
- MP4 Video Compression - choose H.264 High profile.
- Bitrate – based on video dimensions. See table below.
- Progressive scan mode – avoid interlaced video.
- Multi pass –multi-pass will provide better quality.
- VBR vs. CBR - VBR (variable bitrate) usually provides better quality than CBR (constant bitrate).
- Frame Rate – choose Current.
|640 x 360||640 x 480||1,350-1,800 Kbps|
|1280 x 720 (720p)||3,750-5,000 Kbps|
|1920 x 1080 (1080p)||6,000-8,000 Kbps|
Recommended Audio Settings
|Channels||Stereo, Mono||Surround - 5.1, 7.1|
|Sample Size||44.1 kHz or lower|
|Sound Levels||Normalized||Peaks, low sound|