Help Desk - Student Level 2 Analyst Position Description (Student Leadership Program)
The Help Desk Level 2 Analyst - Student position is an excellent opportunity to further develop your technical skills, work with a smaller team, and expand your impact on our Help Desk services. Other perks include extremely flexible schedule working between the hours of 7am-6pm Monday-Friday, and earning $17.25 per hour. Also note that if you are graduating soon this position does have some opportunities to be extended post graduation. Please see full job description below:
- Trained as a Help Desk Chat/Email/Techstore Agent with ability to complete QA training.
- Demonstrated exceptional performance in a customer service environment.
- Knowledge and practice of interpersonal skills needed to work in a team oriented, collaborative work environment to address potentially difficult situations and customers.
- Knowledge of general analytical and troubleshooting procedures needed to help users including an understanding of Cherwell Case Management Software.
- Knowledge of the DoIT organization along with its products and services.
- Commitment to work at least 10-15 hours at the Help Desk. All the hours will be in Level 2.
- Excellent written and verbal communications.
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve computer issues in a variety of mediums including phone, chat, email, and through remote support (using tools such as BeyondTrust).
- Trained as a Help Desk Quality Assurance (HDQA) Agent.
This position provides computing support to the members of the UW-Madison campus community as well as members of related institutions. This role is designed to deliver high-quality technology solutions with a focus on customer service. We offer training in technical expertise, customer service excellence, and other business skills like time management.
Responsible for first and second level troubleshooting determination, resolution, and as-needed escalation for the various products and services that are used to support the business and academic mission of campus. Additionally, the position offers flexibility in long and short-term project work both within the Help Desk and throughout the larger division to promote training, and organizational effectiveness. Strong candidates will have a drive to continually improve, learn more, and sharpen their skills while working in a team environment.
Provide Level 2 Support (75%)
- Provide Level 2 support for UW services, including: E-Reimbursement, Mainframe, SIS, Voice Services, Microsoft 365, Desktop Support, Learn@UW, and Moodle.
- Provide desktop support or remote desktop support for Apple and Windows computers.
- Follow procedures and policies for the handling of incoming and outgoing support contacts via telephone, email, web request, and chat.
- Troubleshoot problems using effective methods to obtain information from the end-user.
- Instruct end users on complex operator error issues.
- Accurately log contact information along with problem and resolution notes in the problem management application.
- Escalate cases when necessary, following appropriate documentation and procedures.
- Consult with Team Lead as needed for unusual or unique situations.
Represent the Help Desk on Service Teams (10%)
- Preform advanced technical troubleshooting direct to end-users
- Produce documentation to ensure the Help Desk is up-to-date on case handling and procedures for particular services
- Represent the Help Desk in service team meetings
- Manage Help Desk process improvements for particular services (for example – improve the workflow or reporting in our case management system)
Perform Project Work and Other Duties as Assigned (10%)
- Create, organize, review and update Help Desk knowledgebase articles and documentation.
- Participate in quality and process improvement projects and activities.
- Represent the Help Desk on DoIT and campus teams and committees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Professional Development (5%)
- Complete assigned training and maintain expertise at Help Desk Skill Level 2 benchmark.
- Attend meetings, training events, and seminars sponsored by the Help Desk, DoIT, or campus.
- Develop and pursue a plan of professional development in conjunction with the Help Desk Supervisor.