WiscVPN - Connecting with the GlobalProtect (PaloAlto) Client
WiscVPN is transitioning from using Cisco AnyConnect to Palo Alto GlobalProtect. For information on which client to use during the transition, see the news item WiscVPN Client Transition.
This document describes how to establish a connection to WiscVPN with the GlobalProtect VPN client software on a computer running Windows or Mac operating systems.
Connecting to GlobalProtect
- Open the GlobalProtect client.
- Windows XP, Vista, and 7: Click on Start, Program Files (or All Programs) > GlobalProtect.
- Windows 8, 8.1, and 10: Press the Windows key to open the Start Screen, then begin typing GlobalProtect until you see the program appear below the search field. Click on the program to launch it.
- Mac OS X: Select the Spotlight in the top right corner or press the Command and Space keys at the same time and type GlobalProtect.
- The VPN Client will start.
- Type the following information below into the relevant fields:
- Portal: uwmadison.vpn.wisc.edu
- Username: NetID
- Password: NetID password
Note that it you use both WiscVPN and departmental VPN, only your most recent VPN connection will be remembered in the portal field for future connections.
Disconnecting from GlobalProtect
- Opening GlobalProtect:
- On Windows, click on the Show hidden icons arrow in the lower right corner if the GlobalProtect icon is not already displaying in the system tray. Right click the icon.
- On Mac, click on the GlobalProtect icon in the top toolbar. It will look like a picture of the earth.
- Choose Disconnect.
- You are now disconnected from GlobalProtect.