Topics Map > Campus Services > Course Search and Enroll

Course Search & Enroll - Permission and Approval for Course Enrollment

This document explains how to determine and contact the correct campus official to attain permission and approval to enroll in courses

When navigating through the enrollment process at UW–Madison — enrolling in a class, making changes (like drop) to your class schedule, or withdrawing from school for a semester — you may first need to get permission from a campus official.

Permission and Approval for Course Enrollment

Instructor consent

Some courses will include “consent of instructor” (or similar) as a requisite, or requirement that needs to be met before you can enroll in the class. If so, contact the instructor listed for the class to request permission to enroll.

Example with “consent of instructor” set as a requisite for the entire course:


Example with “consent of instructor” set as a requisite for a specific section:


Finding instructor contact info

Select the name of the instructor in the section detail panel.

In the pop-up window, the instructor’s email address will appear.


TIP: When you contact an instructor by email, send the email from your account, include your campus ID number. You may be asked for more information about your qualifications and interest in the class.

If the instructor approves you for the class, they will create a special permission for you in the enrollment system.

You still need to enroll in the class! Go to Course Search & Enroll or Student Center to enroll. Get in touch with the person (instructor or someone in the department) who gave you permission if you still have problems enrolling in the class.

Department permission

Find department contact info in Course Search & Enroll

Departments display their contact information for permission requests in the “Subject Notes” area of the main course panel.


Still need a contact for department permission?

When do you need department permission

Departments/programs manage the enrollment in their courses. You may need to receive department permission:

  • to enroll in a class closed to non-majors;
  • to enroll in a class when your previous courses don’t exactly meet the requisites;
  • to add or drop a class after the deadline to do so has passed;
  • and many other situations.

Example of a class with a “department permission” requisite just for this section.


Example of “need permission” messages in Course Search & Enroll:

Exampl1.PNG Example2.PNG

Academic dean approval

Students work with the academic dean’s office in their school/college in certain circumstances related to enrollment actions.

Approval from academic deans isn’t typically required when initially enrolling in a class. However, students who want to add or drop a class late in the semester, or withdraw from UW–Madison for a term, will consult with their academic dean’s office, who will ensure that the student gets the advice, planning, and support they need.

You can find examples of important academic deadlines where academic dean approval is required, such as:

Deadline for students to add a Fall term class with department permission (after: need academic dean approval) Friday, November 2, 2018

Example of a message in Course Search and Enroll

Drop Failed Example

Finding your academic dean's contact information

Student Center. On the home page of Student Center, in the “Academics” section, select the “My Academics” link. You can find your specific academic dean’s office listed on the page."

My Academics Page

College of Agricultural and Life Sciences CALS Academic Affairs 608-262-3003 116 Agricultural Hall website

Audiology Audiology Program Coordinator 608-262-6481 374 Goodnight Hall

Wisconsin School of Business Undergraduate Academic Services
608-262-0471 3150 Grainger Hall

Division of Continuing Studies Adult Career & Special Student Services 608-263-6960 21 N. Park St., Room 7101 website

School of Education Education Academic Services
608-262-1651 139 Education Building website

College of Engineering Engineering Academic Deans Office 608-262-3484 2620 Engineering Hall website

Graduate School Graduate School Academic Services 608-262-2433 217 Bascom Hall

School of Human Ecology School of Human Ecology Student Academic Affairs 608-262-2608 1194 Nancy Nicholas Hall website

Law School Law School Student Services Office 608-262-8564 5110A Law Building

College of Letters & Science Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services 608-262-0617 110 Mark H. Ingraham Hall

School of Medicine and Public Health
contact your program office

School of Nursing Office of Academic Affairs 608-263-5202 1100 Signe Skott Cooper Hall

School of Pharmacy Pharmacy Student and Academic Affairs 608-262-6234 2220 Rennebohm Hall of Pharmacy

School of Veterinary Medicine Office of Academic Affairs 608-263-2525 2268 Veterinary Medicine Building

See Also:

Keywords:obtaining getting permissions instructor consent department academic dean approvals contact requisite requirement cse cs&e   Doc ID:87291
Owner:Help Desk KB Team .Group:DoIT Help Desk
Created:2018-10-28 17:39 CDTUpdated:2019-06-24 09:59 CDT
Sites:DoIT Help Desk
Feedback:  0   1