Topics Map > Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)

MFA-Duo - What do I do if I am transferring or leaving UW-Madison? (Employee)

This document describes what you should do when transferring or leaving employment at UW-Madison specific to MFA-Duo devices that you have.

Transferring within UW-Madison

During the roll-out phase through mid-Spring of 2019, if you are transferring to a division or department that has not yet implemented MFA-Duo please retain your MFA-Duo device(s) as you will eventually be required to use them when your new division / department is onboarded.

If you have not personally been required to use MFA-Duo with your NetID and are transferring to a division / department that uses MFA-Duo, please click here to get started in registering your device.

When transferring to another division or department within UW-Madison that also uses MFA-Duo you can continue to use the same device(s) without interruption of service.

Transferring within UW to an institution that also uses Duo

Smart device users can continue to use their existing MFA-Duo configuration to access UW-Madison resources but would want to add their new campus Duo service in the Duo application.

Token/fob users would need an additional token from their new campus as any individual token can only be active in one Duo service.

Leaving UW / Retiring

Owing to delays in entry or periods where you may be remaining active before termination (sabbatical, vacation, etc) you may continue to be associated with your former UDDS.

As a result you will want to continue to retain your smart device app and/or keyfob in order to authenticate to Duo if required when accessing former employee resources (such as your W2, benefit information, etc).

Once you stop being prompted regularly for Duo while logging in with your NetID and password, it is safe to uninstall the Duo application from your smart phone unless you use it at other institutions. 

Duo tokens/fobs do not need to be returned to the University or the DoIT Help Desk. They should be disposed of following electronic recycling guidelines:

  • Tokens and Fobs will automatically be de-registered from a user in our database once access to Duo is removed. 
  • Due to battery limitations, tokens and fobs will not be reused. 
  • Tokens and Fobs can be returned to the Help Desk to be recycled. Once returned to the Help Desk for recycling, we can not retrieve the old token (ex: a token is given to the Help Desk for recycling but then the customer realizes they still need it) - however, we can issue a new one.

City of Madison drop-off electronics/key fob recycling locations:

  • 4602 Sycamore Ave, Madison, WI 53704
  • 402 South Point Rd, Verona, WI 53593
  • 121 E Olin Ave, Madison, WI 53713

For hours of operation and additional locations, please check: City Of Madison - Drop-off Sites

 Tokens/fobs can also be taken to any recycling center that accepts electronic devices.

Leaving UW / Retiring

Once your Human Resources department updates your affiliation status to indicate that your employment has been terminated, you will no longer be able to access your employee information in HRS. To do so please regard the next section in this document labeled "Accessing Earning, Leave, Tax, and Benefit Statements after Leaving UW / Retiring".

Accessing Earning, Leave, Tax, and Benefit Statements after Leaving UW / Retiring

If you are currently employed at the University of Wisconsin and have accidentally lost access in error, please contact your Human Resources department to confirm that your employment status has been entered correctly.

If you need further assistance after consulting with your HR representative, please contact UW-Shared Services.

How can I access my statements?

Earning statements: Please contact your former payroll office or UW Shared Services - Service Operations Support.

Tax Statements (W-2, 1042-S, Fellowship Tax Letters): You must submit a request using the Duplicate Statement Request Form. Documents from 2018 and later can be requested free of charge. 

For questions on Leave and Benefit information or to update your mailing address, please contact UW Shared Services - Service Operations Support.

Contact UWSS Service Operations 

When do former employees lose access?

The last day of your role at UW-Madison is the last day you will be able to access your Earning, Leave, Tax, and Benefit Statements.

You will no longer be able to access your employee information or documents the day after your effective date of termination

What apps are affected?

You will lose access to all Human Resource System tiles, data, and statements in MyUW. Access to these systems is based on an active employement status. 

This includes:

  • Benefit Information (Benefits statements)
  • Payroll Information (Tax and earnings statements)
  • Time and Absence (Timesheets and leave balances/reports)
  • HR, Payroll and Benefits News
  • HRS Approvals
  • Manager Time and Approvals
  • Mandatory Training
  • Performance Management
  • Personal Information

Other UW Madison Services

You will still be able to log into the MyUW portal and access non-Human Resource apps (such as Canvas, My Bookmarks, and WisCard Balance) for 24 months after your date of termination.

Please see Leaving the University of Wisconsin Madison for deactivation information for other common services such as Office 365, Zoom, and Google Drive. The deactivation timeline for these specific tools is 90 days long, should you need to backup or transfer ownership of any data.

See accessibility & usability information

We work with our users to address access and usability barriers in the MFA user experience. Learn details about known access barriers and workarounds at MFA-Duo - Accessibility & Usability Information. If you encounter a barrier or need assistance, please contact the DoIT Help Desk or call (608) 264-4357.

For questions regarding how to get access to the MFA mobile app contact the DoIT Help Desk at (608) 264-4357 or email

How to get access to a Security Key or Duo Token/Fob 


Students, to obtain a token/fob, please contact the DoIT Help Desk (608) 264-4357 or email Students with disabilities can also request a token or security key at the McBurney Disability Resource Center, 702 W. Johnson St., Suite #2104, Madison WI 53715 on the 2nd floor.

Faculty, Staff, and Researchers

Employees can get access to devices for MFA at their Human Resources Office or IT department. For questions contact the DoIT Help Desk at (608) 264-4357 or email 

Keywordstransferring leaving employment termination quit depart multi-factor retire retiree multifactor authentication token fob transfer job change leave retiring terminating departing exiting   Doc ID86237
OwnerMST SupportGroupIdentity and Access Management
Created2018-10-04 14:08:25Updated2024-04-26 11:57:43
SitesDoIT Help Desk, Identity and Access Management
Feedback  1   0