Topics Map > College of Letters and Science > Advancement: Communications, Alumni Relations & Development
Topics Map > College of Letters and Science > Facilities > Buildings
Topics Map > College of Letters and Science > Facilities > Frequently Asked Questions
What's the Procedure for Naming a Room or a Building or Other Facility After Someone?
This document outlines the procedure to follow when recognizing an individual or group by naming all or part of a facility in their honor.
The naming of university facilities must be in accord with policies established by the Board of Regents, and
should follow a particular route of approval:
- Originating department proposes name for facility via a request addressed to
- The Dean presents the proposal to the L&S Academic Planning Council for
- Once approved, the request is forwarded with the Dean's endorsement to the
Campus Planning Committee.
- The Campus Planning Commitee forwards approved requests to the Chancellor.
(Room naming will be advanced through the Space and Remodeling Policies Committee
to the Vice Chancellor for Administration.)
- Please note that existing campus procedures also require that all fundraising
efforts tied to proposed naming opportunities be approved by the Chancellor.
We expect a detailed “naming opportunities” list to be prepared
before fundraising approval can be given. Contact the Space Management Office
for assistance and coordination throughout the naming processes. Staff will
assist in preparing the appropriate documentation and help guide requests through
the appropriate committees for the Chancellor’s approval.
This process is described in greater detail here.
For more information, please contact Assistant Dean Chris Bruhn.