Topics Map > Student Academic Policies > Grades

Grade Change Policy for L&S Undergraduate Students

The following section concerns L&S policy regarding grade changes for L&S undergraduate students.

In accordance to current faculty policy and in an effort to maintain both equity and consistency, final semester grades can be changed only because of  "clerical error".  Students cannot (should not) petition to improve a course grade by offering to rewrite a paper, turn in additional work, or retake a final exam.  The only exception would be if:

  1. the option to improve a grade is available to all students in a given course, and
  2. this option is stated explicitly in the course syllabus.
Each department should also have a procedure for reviewing grade changes on a regular basis.

The following items are important for the efficient and accurate processing of grade changes:
  1. Any instructor with the ability to submit grades can also make electronic grade changes.
  2. Information on how to submit egrade changes via Faculty Center can be found at grading FAQs webpage and  e-grade changes how-to.
  3. If an electronic grade change via Faculty Center is not possible due to the fact that a student does not appear on the grade roster, the department will need to submit a grade change via the eForm.  (Please note that the eForm has replaced the paper/PDF Grade Change Request Form.)  The eForm will allow faculty and instructors to submit a non-roster grade change electronically.  Step-by-step instructions, screenshots, and a direct link to the form can be found in the Non-Roster Grade Change KnowledgeBase document.  All other grade changes must be done electronically through the grade rosters on the instructor's My UW Madison Faculty Center.  See Faculty Center - entering and submitting final grades for more detailed information.
  4. Once an instructor submits the eForm, the grade change request will be routed directly to L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans' Services worklist in the Student Information System (SIS) for approval.  Staff in L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans' Services will determine if the grade change will affect a student's academic status (e.g., placing a student in dropped status, or altering the probationary status of the student).  If the grade change affects the student's academic status, the student's academic standing will be updated accordingly.
  5. Appeals of final grades must be initiated within the semester immediately following the term in which the course is taken.
Contact the L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans' Office/Student Academic Affairs with further questions:
Phone: (608) 262-0617

Keywords:eForm, non-roster grade change eform, grade change, submitting grade changes, grade appeal, final semester grades, grade change form, nonroster grade change   Doc ID:21699
Owner:Tori R.Group:L&S KB
Created:2011-12-12 17:58 CSTUpdated:2022-03-11 15:44 CST
Sites:L&S KB
Feedback:  0   1