- Launch Chrome or Firefox, go to Kaltura MediaSpace, and login: mediaspace.wisc.edu. If you need more information on how to log in to MediaSpace please see Kaltura - How to Log in to Kaltura MediaSpace (UW-Madison) .
- Click on the Add New Button, and select Media Upload:
- UW-Madison's disclaimer will display. Read it and check the checkbox next to "I agree to the above terms of conditions if you do." For more information on this message see Kaltura - Information on storage, acceptable use, copyright, accessibility, and harassment policies as well as applicable state, local, and federal laws and regulations .
- The "Upload Media" interface will display. Click the Choose a file to upload button:
- Navigate to and select the file you want to upload to Kaltura MediaSpace. While Kaltura can process a wide range of video formats, we find MP4 videos generally work well. We recommend 1280 x 720 video as a good balance between file size and quality. We also recommend you try to keep your video files under 2 GB - the larger the file the longer it will take to upload and process. More information on video formats is available in Kaltura MediaSpace - Recommended video source formats and specifications (UW-Madison) .
- While the file is uploading, fill out any pertinent information. If you are uploading copyrighted footage for education purposes, make sure that you have the video set to 'private', this prevents any external parties from viewing the video. Generally we recommend setting the publishing setting to Unlisted as this will more easily let you use the video where you want outside of Kaltura MediaSpace. Here's some more information on the three publshing settings:
Private - makes the video only viewable by you; sharing the link to the video requires a login with your NetID and password to view.
Unlisted - any user with the URL can view the video
Public - Searchable and viewable on the main Mediaspace site.
(click for full size image)
- Click Save.
Even when Kaltura MediaSpace is running smoothly, other internet service providers may experience slower service, which could limit your upload speed.
- Test your speed by going to speedtest.net, and click Go to run the test.
- Upload speeds and Kaltura's upload performance varies, but an upload speed of 10 Mbps should be able to upload a 250 MB file to Kaltura in about 4.5 minutes.
- Kaltura MediaSpace will take additional time to initially display your video in your "My Media" area. When it does appear in My Media, an icon indicating it is still processing will display until it is done processing.
Generally it takes about 2-3 times the video's duration for Kaltura MediaSpace to display an initial lower quality version of your video. For example, a 15 minute video will usually take about 30-45 minutes to initially process. (Higher quality versions will take longer to process.) When Kaltura MediaSpace is being heavily used, processing times will lengthen and could take up to 24 hours.
Uploaded Media can be found under the My Media button on the title bar. You cannot preview or publish a video while it is being processed but can edit media information. After you've uploaded your media you may want to review the following documents: