UW-Madison Kaltura - Sharing Access to Channels
This document covers how to share access to channels with other UW-Madison Kaltura MediaSpace users.
A channel is a user-generated collection of content in Kaltura MediaSpace that pertains to a selected group of users (or just one user). Channel managers may give other users permission to perform specific actions in a channel.
This document describes how to do the following:
Accessing Your Channels
You can access your channels by clicking the MY CHANNELS link at the top of the Kaltura MediaSpace page.
Creating a Channel
- Click the MY CHANNELS link at the top of the Kaltura MediaSpace page.
- Click the Create Channel button.
- Enter the channel name, description, and any tags you wish to include for the channel.
- Select the kind of access that users have:
- Open - Membership is open and non-members can view content and participate. This means that any MediaSpace user can access the channel and contribute content.
- Restricted - Non-members can view content, but users must be invited to participate. This means that any MediaSpace user can access the channel but only members can contribute content.
- Private - Membership is by invitation only and only members can view content and participate. This means that only members can view and contribute content.
- Shared Repository - Membership is by invitation only. Members can publish content from this channel to any other channel according to their entitlements.
- Public - Non-Members can view content (including anonymous users) but users must be invited to participate.
Adding Members to a Channel
- On the Channels page, click a channel to open it.
- Click the Actions button, then select Edit.
- Click the Members tab.
- Click the Add Members button. In the Add Member window, start typing the user's NetID (username) to display a list of matching NetIDs.
Please note that the person you are trying to add must have logged into http://mediaspace.wisc.edu/ at least once in order for you to be able to find a person and add them to the channel. If the user has not logged in at least once you will get an error message: "Error: user does not exist". Once you've confirmed the user has logged into http://mediaspace.wisc.edu/ try adding them to the channel again.
- Select the user's NetID.
- Set the user's permission level:
- Member - View channel content only.
- Contributor - View channel content and add media to the channel.
- Moderator - View channel content, add media to the channel, deleted media from the channel, and moderate the channel
- Manager - View channel content, add media to the channel, delete media from the channel, moderate the channel, and manage the channel (delegate managerial rights to additional users).
Viewing a Channel
- Log into http://mediaspace.wisc.edu/.
- Click on My Channels. By default, Kaltura MediaSpace is set to View Channels I Manage and will show you channels that you are a manager of.
- If you want to view channels you are a member of (not a manager of) click View Channels I manage and change it to View Channels I am a member of.
Removing Media from a Channel
You can remove media from a channel if you are a channel moderator or manager.
- Click on My Channels.
- Click on a channel to access it. You will see the media within a channel.
- Click the plus icon at the bottom left of the media thumbnail, then click the Remove button.