How to support a student organization
This document describes how a UW department can support a registered UW-Madison student organization. Step-by-step instructions are provided. This document includes a link to the form: Five Questions for Student Organizations.
HOW DOES A DEPT SUPPORT A STUDENT ORGANIZATION?
The only way a
department can support a registered student organizations is with UW-Foundation
funding. To find out if the student organization is registered with UW-Madison please go to this website:
Departments can only support REGISTERED student organizations in this way. If the organization is not registered, there is no way for departments to provide financial support. This is a great incentive for student organizations to register.
The process for providing support to the student org is simple:
- Create a UW Foundation (UWF) check request payable to the student organization in the amount of support that the department currently wishes to give. Use the UW Foundation Check Request. Login, click on Fund Management in red navigation bar, then select "Check/ACH request" from the pull down menu.
- Attach a completed Five Questions for Student Organizations. The department or the student organization can fill out the form.
- Send both documents to Mary Machaj at 408 South Hall for approval.
- After the form is approved, it will take
about three weeks for UWF to send a check to the student org. Be careful with the mail to address, checks for student orgs are the most frequently lost checks that UWF sends out. If you have any doubts, have the check sent to your department office and have the student org representative pick it up in person.
- The student organization deposits the funds into their own account and manages the money themselves, paying their bills, reimbursing individuals, whatever is needed.
There are two reasons for this policy, one is to keep student organization
activity distinct from UW activity, and the second is to give the members of
the student organization experience in handling their own financial
affairs. A by-product of the policy is that the department does not have
to do so much for the student org and can concentrate more on departmental
The amount of support the department provides is wholly up to the department. There is no maximum to the number of check requests or dollar amount of the payments to the student org. In some cases, departments want to provide a lump sum that the student org can use over a length of time, covering various anticipated or unanticipated events. Sometimes there's a specific invoice the department wants to provide support for, in that case, the department can provide the student org exactly the dollar amount of the invoice, or the department could decide to round up the dollar amount. Sometimes the department wants to provide a set amount for a particular event, say $500 to support a student org conference. Some departments provide a lump sum every year to the student org. Again, the dollar amount and frequency of support is entirely up to the department.
Questions about this policy should be directed to Ben Ball in the L&S Budget Office, 5-1170.